Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I have had a weird cough 2 months now. It started when I was

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. I have had a weird cough for about 2 months now. It started when I was traveling for work in Las Vegas and got a bit sick (flu like) and started coughing one of the two nights I was there. When returning to Mexico, the cough continued. It continued until I went for vacation to Norway on December 18. For the three weeks period of December 18 to ***** ***** 7th, I did not cough. When returning to Mexico city, the cough started again. The cough starts at night when I go to bed. I also cough if I try to do aerobic exercise (e.g., running). The cough has no color but I feel that "something is coming up", and it has a metallic taste.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is also worth noting that both Las Vegas and Mexico is in some altitude (2000 feet in las vegas and 7000 in Mexico city), while for vacation I was in Norway, Puerto Rico and Miami (all at ground level) and did not experience the cough
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok is this a question you have knowledge about or should I seek someone else?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To add some more details. I have mild (or at least used to be mild) dust and pollen allergy. As a result, I am having a stuffed nose most of the year, including for these two months. However, the stuffed nose has been worse for this period and I have been blowing my nose more then normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some more relevant info. When the coughing starts and for the next 1-2 hours, I feel short-breathed. For the rest of the day I do not feel specifically short-breathed and i walk and bike a lot at high pace without problem. Some nights I have for a few breaths also heard a squeaking sound, but only for a few breaths and not every night.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.
I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.

Did you have any test?

Did you take any medicine?

Do you have any other illness?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Saha,No, I have not taken any test or medicine (except normal coughing syrup). I guess initially I was so certain that it was just a normal flu or an allergic reaction (the first couple of days I had very stuffed nose, swollen throat which I often do when I am pollen allergic and was coughing/sneezing a lot).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In terms of medicines I am taking Prophesia (for hair stimuli), but no other medicines. Other then that I am normal and healthy but with slightly high blood pressure (typically ranging from 115-135). Also worth noting that I am not from Mexico city (Norway), but have for the last four years lived here on and off (in 2012 full-time but traveling a lot, in 2013 and 2014 less then half of my time and then for the last 12 months full-time).
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for all the information,
Viral infection or flu would not last so long.
A chronic bacterial infection of lung is possible.
Cough of such a long duration can be due to a few other causes.
An allergy, asthma can cause it.
Those can be worse on exercise, at night or in certain environment.
Reflux, occasionally tumor are other possibilities..
Cough from reflux can be worse at night.
It can cause a metallic taste.

In case you take ACE inhibitor for blood pressure, it can cause dry cough as a side effect.
I would suggest to have an evaluation by a pulmonologist.
Lung function test, blood count, sputum test, allergy test etc.can be taken.
CT scan can be taken if the doctor thinks necessary.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.
Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. A few follow-ups: what would be an example of a chronic bacterial infection? And what is reflux?I do not take an Ace inhaliator.Also, isn't it strange that the cough stopped when I was on vacation for 20 days and then started up again immediately when back?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

One chronic bacterial infection is tuberculosis.

Reflux is acid reflux. It is quite common.

Allergy can be factor as allergen can vary from place to place.

Again, stress & anxiety can be worrying factors.

If tests do not find any physical factor, psychological issues can be considered.