Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

I had been taking anti stamine years and stopped it now.I

Customer Question

I had been taking anti histamine for two years and stopped it now.I also stopped taking probiotics since a long time.I was alright In my first semester of my school but I guess my body developed some kind of allergic reactions.Do you think that those pills have had an impact on my immune system ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 10 months ago.

Hello!

If you had taken an antihistamine and / or probiotics then NO-- these would not harm your immune system...your immune system would be fine..

What type of allergic reaction are you having? ( skin reactions / asthma/ hay fever ...)

If you have hay fever symptoms such as watery eyes/ runny nose / sneezing/ nose itching >> then these type symptoms would benefit from an antihistamine such as over the counter ALLEGRA for example...( Other treatments may help ...it would depend on the allegy type...)

I hope that this information is helpful for you Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards ,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I said that took antihistamines without taking probiotics,and I've been off the probiotics since a long time,wud that have affected my immunity?

No ...no adverse effect to your immune system...

Not either antistamine nor probiotic...nor either one alone or both together would impair your immune system....

I hope that this is helpful for you

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've been getting spikes in my head ever since I've been taking the pills ,some kind of glucose intolerance and I feel better when I have yoghurt,Is it anything to do with the gut?

Hello again,

Spikes in head?

Do you mean headaches ?

You might have some issue with reflux perhaps ...this is at times associated with headaches...

Yogurt may have an acid neutralizing effect to benefit you...

Glucose intolerance ? Where do you get that idea from?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have read it on the Internet that glucose intolerance is a result of certain good bacteria in the gut.Do you think then I have an gastrointestinal problem and all this is due to some inflammation in my intestines?

Glucose intolerance is a condition of being PREDIABETIC.. It has to do with poor uptake of glucose into cells and at times may be associated with a lagging release of insulin. It typically has more to do with deficiency of insulin receptors of the cells of the body..

This would not be caused by GI tract flora...

It seems some mix up here in our terminology perhaps...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm very certain that these spikes in my head are due to glucose intolerance and I do not understand why I feel better when I have yoghurt.How do you think I can overcome this problem and is this reversible or has it done permanent damage to my system?

I think that you may get headaches due to reflux as that is a common connection.. the yogurt may help you to feel better as it would help neutralize acid. You might also try an antacid such as Mylanta to see if that also may help to calm the symptoms in a short period of time..

meanwhile I suggest that you refrain from eating foods or drink that are irritants to the GI tract... hot spicy foods/acidic foods/ alcoholic drinks/ coffee/ tomato products/ onions/peppers/ citrus fruits such as orange juice/ anti-inflammatory meds such as aspirin, Aleve, Advil ( Tylenol is OK though )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No No ,leave the yoghurt aside and let's come to the point .Im very sure my spikes are due to glucose intolerance,my question to you is that why does this deficiency of insulin receptors arises?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How can I overcome this problem of getting these spikes in the head?
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 10 months ago.

Perhaps you are talking about lactose intolerance, which is someone who lacks an enzyme to digest lactose. It causes digestive upset when someone drinks milk or other lactose-containing products. Sometimes such people can digest yogurt though.

Glucose intolerance on the other hand is a problem with digesting glucose, and is one step in the diagnosis of diabetes. Some people call it pre-diabetes. For this diagnosis you would need to see a medical provider for testing.

I'm not sure what you mean by spikes in your head. Do you mean quick pains?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I cant understand your bullshit,I don't think I can work with you on this ,just pass the case to some other expert.
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 10 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Yoghurt contains probiotics similar to those found in capsule/powder form.There is a Glucose Tolerance Test(GTT) available at any pathology lab which can help you get assessed for glucose intolerance.As for the spikes in the head,this has often been seen with increased stress and anxiety levels ,medication ,thyroid disease and rarely with neurological disorders.It would be best to discuss the matter with your PCP,request him for a GTT,get a thorough physical and neurological examination .Further investigations based on the findings can help identify the exact cause of your symptoms and specific therapy needed .