Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I would like to know if Stiff Man Syndrome can be fatal and

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** I would like to know if Stiff Man Syndrome can be fatal and under what circumstances? Thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was diagnosed in October of last year and I had my first set of IVMG treatments in the hospital, and was prescribed Bacloven to help any flareups. By the end of December I already needed another IVMG treatment, which has been kind of devastating in and of itself. Then that just got me thinking. Could this be fatal?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes. Thank you.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Stiff man syndrome is not fatal but in some fraction of cases it may have slightly fast progression. But majority of patients have indolent course (very slow progression or static). The most common complications of the disease are anxiety and depression. Occasionally it is associated with thyroid disorder and diabetes due to antibodies.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/