A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Dr. Brasu are you available to answer a few questions

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 10 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Let me know your questions. I can help you out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had a 24 hour urine test done in July and everything was normal. I have had some home urine tests sticks that I bought and it always shows 2 + or 1+ or trace. Every once In awhile a net rating. Well today I took two and they both showed 2+. Is this a bad sign that something is wrong now

Thanks for the further information.

The stick test is qualitative test and its sensitivity is not high. A 24 hours urinary protein test is very specific and sensitive test for the protein leak from kidneys in urine. Since this is normal; there is no worry. It supersedes the stick test.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Even if my 24 hour test was 6 months ago

If the stick tests showed the positive proteins 6 months ago also and than the 24 hours urinary proteins were normal; than it is not likely to be worrisome. Though you may just get the 24 hours test repeated for the confirmation.

It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my urinalysis was a 2+ then as well... I assuming you use a home stick it can only be used once correct? Once it dries out you can't use it again correct? My husband said to use it again because it was the last one but it registered like a 3+ but earlier it was a 2+ when I used it for the first time

Urine stick is used only once. A repeat use would give wrong result.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my urinalysis being a 2+ this summer is that a good thing for me then? Two plus them and now?

Yes, this is unlikely to be worrisome.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can kidney issues really change that fast in 6 months? Everything in normal range then to something bad now ....?

Won't change in 6 months usually.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm probably worrying for nothing then?? I have normal blood pressure, no family history, no weird fevers, no frequent urination, or any other symptoms just 2+ protein?

Yes, nothing worrisome as we discussed it earlier.

You may consider a positive rating. We may continue the additional questions after the rating too.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there a way to check your protein at home without a stick
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 10 months ago.

There is not, and dipstick results are unreliable.

No one should be checking their urine at home unless directed to do so by their medical provider. It is a waste of time and money. You have had a complete workup within the past 6 months and your kidneys are completely normal.