A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Today I had a colonoscopy and my Doctor said that I have

Customer Question

Customer: Good evening Dr.***** *****.Today I had a colonoscopy and my Doctor said that I have abnormal mucosa found at the ileocecal valve. he took a biopsy of the lesion and suggested that I follow-up with a CT scan and further appointment with him.could you be kind enough to explain to me further,and how serious this is.Thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have no issues at the moment.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I have no problems to pay for this amount.However I would prefer an immediate answer.Please.Thank you.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 10 months ago.

There really isn't any way to say how serious this is until you have a diagnosis. That will come with the results of the biopsy and the CT scan. "Abnormal" just means not normal or usual; it isn't a diagnosis of anything. That will be for further testing to determine.

Abnormal mucosa anywhere in the colon, including the ileocecal valve (the valve at the end of the stomach that allows food to pass into the intestine). It can be Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, intestinal malabsorption, or even cancer.

I wish there were more to tell you, but there isn't, and won't be until you have the additional testing recommended by your doctor.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~