Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My name is rob, I'm just trying to find out is falling down

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is ***** ***** just trying to find out is falling down a flight of wooden carpeted stairs could cause a comminuted predominantly longitudinal fracture through the left petrous bone?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dad had a tbi and I'm trying to find out if he was hit in the head of if he fell, he had a smaller focus of wedge shaped non-haemorrhagic contusion underneath the fracture.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how would I pay?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 11 months ago.

This types of fracture can happen sometimes if the side of the head, including the ear touched the wooden flight of stairs. The impact of the bone with the hard surface of the stairs could be responsible for such type of fractures . The presence of the contusion also signifies that the injury was strong enough to result in a comminuted fracture.

A high resolution Ct scan of the petrous temporal bone could well reveal the fracture as well as any other contusions in the brain.

You should consult your GP and get an X ray done, if not done already. This should be followed by the CT scan of the head and petrous bone.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please leave behind a positive feedback if you liked my answer to give credit for my time and expertise. Bonuses are warmly appreciated.