Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I need someone who is knowledgeable about anemia--preferably

Customer Question

I need someone who is knowledgeable about anemia--preferably someone who has worked with athletes.
I am getting desperate as my PCP doesn't seem to know what to do with me. I have been taking 4 tabs of ferrous gluconate (38 mgs elemental iron, each) each day, and I'm still borderline iron-deficiency anemic.
So it seems clear I have an absorption problem. I eat a good diet, take my iron with vitamin C and steer clear of calcium. One thing, I just read, that maybe I should do is take it on an empty stomach. It doesn't seem to hurt my stomach very much.
The doctor starting talking about an iron infusion, but I would love to see if there is any route that I could go before that. Liquid iron? Different pill formula? Trying to figure out why I'm anemic in the first place? (FYI I am 29F and have had on/off anemia since the age of 15, which is when I started competitive distance running). I don't have heavy periods and I'm not pregnant. (In fact, I often skip periods).
Thank you!
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 10 months ago.

How long has this been diagnosed as a problem? So you have details as to your labs including serum iron , TIBC (total iron binding capacity ) Ferritin level ???

It could be that you may have better absorption via a different formulation by Rx such as Niferex for example

You don't take anything to reduce stomach acid do you?? That would reduce the absorption of iron .

Meds that can reduce iron absorption include acid reducing meds such as Nexium / Aciphex/ Prilosec etc

I agree with you taking along with vitamin C as that should improve iron absorption....

It sounds that you may have an absoption problem ...the proteins that serve to carry and transport iron should be checked as well if not already ...

Consult of hematologist may be of help to you....

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD