Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had the burning pain in my stomach that started in March

Customer Question

Hey Doc, I had the burning pain in my stomach that started in March of 2014. The pain traveled down to my penis, thighs, buttocks and that entire region. I remember one night about 5 days after it started the burning pain was incredibly strong in my penis. When all this started I also had some headaches in my frontal lobes that would make me extremely drowsy. Also body aches especially cramping feeling in the back of the right side of my neck that would shoot down into my upper back.
I thought for sure I had an STD. I was tested for everything I can think of and they all came back negative. I even had the doctor treat me for Gonorrhea, Chlamydia and Trichomoniasis while waiting for the results because the pain was so bad. So anything cured by those treatments can be ruled out as well. I waited an appropriate amount of time for conclusive tests for HIV and Herpes and they both came back negative.
While all this was happening I was still going through a lot of pain. Headaches, drowsiness, inflammation in my throat at times, stomach, penis, buttocks and surrounding areas. Although it seemed it was never really in the same place at the same time.
I decided to have additional testing. I had a CAT scan done on my stomach and it showed nothing unusual. Then I had an endoscopy and an colonoscopy done and the results showed nothing unusual. I also had a hydrogen breath test done and that showed nothing unusual. The only test I can think of that I haven't done is for a parasite but I really don't think that's it.
It is now almost a year later and I am still going through this. The pain has decreased considerably over time and I have kind of just learned to live with it. The pain isn't as extreme as it once was but seems like it cycles up and cycles down at times, but is never 100% gone. I can always feel the discomfort somewhere but kind of block it out because I need to live my life.
I am just wondering if you have ever heard of anything like this before? Are there any additional tests that you can think of that might find something they haven't picked up on yet? I remember a few times in the first few months of this condition, having horrible bloating/inflammation type pain in my stomach and getting relief from passing gas. Could this be a some digestive disease that somehow the tests didn't show?
I really feel this is some type of infection because of the way it came on. The pain at the beginning was so intense and I have never felt anything like it before, but it has gradually gotten better over time. I do feel like it has hit a plateau now and I cant tell if it is gradually decreasing still or if it is going to stay where it is now. Either way I would do pretty much anything to find relief from this and know what the cause is. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 11 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Could you please tell something about your blood work?

Was everything normal?