Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
41363181

I have had recurring cough years. Have a atal hernia

Customer Question

I have had recurring cough for sev years. Have a hiatal hernia diagnosed about 4 yrs ago. Have recurring sinusitis from allergies. Recently have been on antibiotics & steroids to clear sinusitis. Infection is better but cough persists. The cough is coming from mid to upper chest. Doc says lungs are clear. I believe the cough is from hernia being irritated by sinus drainage inflammation. I take genetic Pepsid and Prilosec everyday for hernia's acid reflux. When first started these the cough went away. But it is now back. How can I get rid of it long term?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

to treat sinus drainage, you need steroid nasal sprays like nasocort, nasonex, flonase and allergy medications like allegra, claritin, zyrtec. you need to see an ENT doctor to get a sinus CT scan to see if you might benefit from sinus surgery to help your sinus drainage.

for your hiatal hernia, you need to loose weight and increase your abdominal core strengthen.

regular exercise and dieting can help decrease your hiatal hernia.

the last resort is hiatal hernia surgery.

are you overweight? are you able to loose weight and decrease abdominal pressure which is causing your hiatal hernia?