A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I've had a cold since Dec 25th...I am most part better but

Customer Question

I've had a cold since Dec 25th...I am for the most part better but left with some congestion an ear infection for about 12 days...no pain, just feels full...doc said it was moderate middle ear infection...prescribed Z Pak....I DO NOT want to take because of my fear of Cardiac death that I read about Z Pak..What are my options...will this ear infection go away without it?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was directed to a doctor..I did not choose counselor or therapist!
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Ear infections are difficult to treat, since there is not as much blood supply as in some other parts, and it is surrounded by bone. There is no way to say if it will clear on its own or not. If you are having significant symptoms, odds are that it will not. However, there is no way to predict for sure.

For the vast majority of patients there is no increased risk of sudden cardiac death. It is people with pre-existing serious health conditions such as diabetes, heart beat irregularities, or a previous heart attack who may have a higher risk.

If you are still afraid to take it, you should contact your physician who can prescribe a different antibiotic such as amoxicillin.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am allergic to Sulfa, Sporins and Amoxicilin.....I am having no pain with the ear infection, just from time to time a feeling of fullness...feels more like congestion from my cold.

That's a shame. A macrolide like azithromycin would be a god choice in the case of your other allergies.

If you have no other contraindications you can try an over-the-counter decongestant like generic Sudafed. It's my "go-to" for minor stuffiness of the nose or ears. I tend to use the low dose, every 4-hour product, because many patients (including myself!) get a feeling of nervousness or jitterness when taking the stronger 12-hour variety. You will know within the first day if it's helping or not. Be sure to drink plenty of water along with it.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will just try to overcome my fear and take the Z Pak! I am not trying to get a brain infection from the spread of this ear bug :)I read to much GOOGLE~~ Thanks for your help!

You're so very welcome! Good luck with that ear, and happy new year.

Warm regards,

Schuyler

~