Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I'm a pretty healthy guy.... Up until 1 year ago I have Been

Customer Question

I'm a pretty healthy guy.... Up until 1 year ago I have Been with the same partner for 14 years.. Because of a separation this has changed. Before my separation, whenever I would have sex with my wife she would get a really strong fishy smell. We always thought it was her, yeast infection or something. Now that we are separated I have had sex with two other women and they have had the same smell. A really strong fishy/tuna smell. What could this be from? I believe it is me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 11 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The fishy smell can be due to yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis in females. But since it has been recurring with your three partners; there is a likelihood that you have the medical issue. The commonest cause is prostatitis. It may not give any symptoms or slight discomfort during ejaculation and the smell. The investigation which can confirm this is semen culture. You may need a course of antibiotic like Trimethoprim-Sulfamethaxazole. This will eradicate the infection and get rid of smell / odor.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks
How long would the antibiotics take to take effect, can I be passing this on to my partner

You are very welcome. Sorry for the delay. I had to see an emergency case so could not reply you earlier. I apologize for your wait.

Since it is an infection, this may pass to partner. But since the virulence of the organisms is low; chance of transmission thus is not high.

Antibiotics show the effect in around 5 days but one need to continue them for 10-14 days for the complete eradication of the infection.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.