Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

What does it mean what can it be causing me to feel totally

Customer Question

What does it mean what can it be causing me to feel totally out of my mind like i feel like I'm not me anymore , been saying this for years now
Like all the thoughts going through my mind are unfamiliar if ever clear and unclear like imin a constant fog no matter who im surrounded by where i or what im doing
Like ive somehow lost myself my identity totally and all the skills and understandings wether life related work related or anything
I don't even speak as articulately as i once did
Lost sll intuition motivation ambition savvyness etc etc
One day I woke up and everything i saw and heard made it hard for me to think straight now 7 years have passed and it doesn't seem as of there is any hope
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

What you describe is a psychiatric phenomenon ...you should consult a psychiatrist for this. I advise psychiatric evaluation for this sensation that you have experienced . The psychiatrist might be able to help track back to the beginning of this feeling and look at potential stress factors and possibly other symptoms that you may have had along with this sense of depersonalization....it may be associated with some major stress near the time of onset of this odd sense that you describe . Seeing a psychiatrist to help you sort through this is where you need to start though...

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

PS >>

I do not have the details to make any specific diagnosis in your case but symptoms described COULD fit with DEPERSONALIZATION DISORDER >>

See reference >.

http://www.m.mebmd.com/a-to-z-guides/depersonalization-disorder-mental-health

I hope that this is helpful for you. Let me know if I may be of further help. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can depersonalization throw a person off so much that they can be totally off in all aread of life whete they used to be on the money in ? Like for instance i cant even asess what or where i off to the point of being able to point it out and or bring it to the attention of a mental health professional? When this first started happening i tried to reachy doctor psychologist but i was unfortunately unsuccessful unil after I've totally lost myself and my identity the person i always was and the skills and understandings of life i always posessed ?
The other day i tried doing some plumbing work sweating copper pipes something ive dome countless times with ease , but this time it was like i was trying to do something i had no kmowledge in and of which is not at all true eventho I can't prove this to anyone in my current mental state! If this makes any sense ?? But then I went and sweated some pipes for a friend of mine and it ce out perfect alltho it still took me rather long for the size of the job if you know what i mean ?
Also can in ur opinion depersonalization be cured ? When the person suffering from it is as if they veen totally wiped of all they once were ? Lokeni cant even say what i was like in detail. All i can say and do is tell you or whoever that i used to be able to do plumbing , light construction and basically any business that had to do with buyung and selling
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the link you posted is not working

Hello again,

What you have described here today is consistent with depersonlization disorder. This could be your main diagnosis OR it could be part of a related psychiatric disorder such as schizophrenia for example. It is a dissociative disorder type of problem. It itself does not mean that you have schizophrenia but this could be part of a symptom complex...

You need to consult a psychiatrist...

You have been able here today to explain what you have experienced and you will be able to do the same for a psychiatrist in person..

I understand that you can not necessarily realistically and accurately portray all aspects of how you felt of yourself in the past

That is part of the very nature of this disorder.. that is understood..

I think that you will most likely find IMPROVEMENT with excellent psychiatric help but I can in no way promise you that you will be returned to the very natural and comfortable sense of self and your prior sense of knowledge and skills that you have enjoyed in the past...

I would say that you should be able to see improvement in this sense >> so YES to that >> CURE ?? I would wish that for you but I doubt that your treatment can be predicted to be of that 100 percent success.. I feel that extent of improvement would be unrealistic to put out there for you to expect ...

I strongly urge you to see a psychiatrist as the next step however. It will be helpful for you! This is a functional psychiatric nature of problem and I would expect that you may be helped.

It may help you to write down some of your concerns and symptoms that you have noticed prior to your appointment.

A neurology assessment may also be a part of your evaluation...(I would say that an EEG should be included as part of your assessment for example..)

I hope that this is helpful for you!

Let me know if you have other questions or concerns or points of discussion.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

PS I will check on the link and try to repost or find another helpful for you...

OK try the following link >>

www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depersonalization-derealization-disorder/basics/symptoms/con-200334401

This , I hope will be a helpful resource for you. It should be a reliable source. Let me know if you have any trouble with access or have other concerns. i will be happy to get back with you! ( a single character off can throw off one of these references so let me know if you have trouble with this address)

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD