Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
41363181

My daughter is getting married tomorrow. She woke up with

Customer Question

My daughter is getting married tomorrow. She woke up with sore throat which we are pretty sure is viral as sister had it. Sister developed hoarseness. We are starting zac am and vitamin c but want advise on cold/cough meds and most importantly we are considering a course of oral steroids. We have a prescription on hand in case of allergic rash which she often gets when she comes home. I think the steroids would help throat inflammation but worry about immune . I also have some good AC cough med she can take at night to try to sleep....but she will be drinking champagne tonight
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

sorry about your daughter getting married.

sore throat should be evaluated by a doctor with a throat swab and test for bacterial strep throat infection which will need a course of antibiotics. it may not be viral.

if if the throat culture is negative for strep throat, then liquid lidocaine can help numb up the throat and help decrease throat pain.

steroids can help decrease inflammation but won't help with the pain.

steroids can also suppress the immune system and also cause other problems like upset stomach, poor sleep, increased appetite, and opportunistic infections like fungal thrush infection.

if she has a viral infection, she can try taking zinc lozenges which can help shorten a course of viral infection.

natural vitamin C is better than pill vitamin C. so eating an orange and fruit is better than juices and pills.

she should drink more water than alcohol to stay hydrated.

and she will need to rest as well to get better.

this can be difficult if she has a big wedding coming up.

best of luck to you and her. and congradulations.

let me know if you have other questions

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

do you have any other questions ?