Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

What does it mean if i dont see clumps of hair falling out

Customer Question

What does it mean if i dont see clumps of hair falling out wether in shower or on pillow but yet my hair seems to have thinned a lot? How does hair thin ? Does every actual strand of hair actually become less thick and so revealing more scalp ???
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/health/9gdws-hair-seems-thinnned-rather-quickly.html?rpt=901#ixzz3vLT2zh4j
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 11 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The hair loss can be due to;

a) Presence of systemic disease like thyroid, iron deficiency, systemic lupus erythematosus, dermatomyositis.

b) Recent psychologic or physical stress

c) Medication or chemical exposure

So you doctor need to do the blood work for above systemic diseases and also do the following tests;

1) Hair Pluck -Trichogram

2) Hair growth window

3) Hair pull test

4) Hair shaft examination (Clip test)

Severe emotional and physical traumas have been documented to cause diffuse hair loss. Hair loss has been reported to occur 2 weeks after severe psychologic or physical trauma. Chronic telogen effluvium (CTE) refers to a diffuse hair loss all over the scalp and persists for more than 8 months. People present with hair loss with increased shedding and thinning of abrupt onset and fluctuating course. There is diffuse thinning all over the scalp, frequently accompanied by bitemporal (both the sides of scalp) recession. The causes can be;

1) Crash diet (inadequate proteins)

2) Drugs; coumadin propranolol, heparin, vitamin A

3) Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidisms

4) Severe illness

5) Physical stress like surgery

6) Psychological stress.

The treatment of hair loss is treatment of the cause and 5% minoxidil solution.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Had full blood count done diseases as far as full blood test can see , i don't have
Stress i been under a lot of stress due to family issues and the fact that i lost myself (detached)about 9 years ago the worst of it taken olace about 7 years ago my whole family has changed also and so finding myself again impossible and thanks to this i been yotally stressed out cause its like im looking for me but no matter where i go or who i speak to i am not finding me if this makes any sense ?? I dont think like me talk like me or do and live like me i am just wasting away life been passing me hy for years now
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Stress i been under a lot of stress due to family issues and the fact that i lost myself (detached)about 9 years ago the worst of it taken olace about 7 years ago my whole family has changed also and so finding myself again impossible and thanks to this i been yotally stressed out cause its like im looking for me but no matter where i go or who i speak to i am not finding me if this makes any sense ?? I dont think like me talk like me or do and live like me i am just wasting away life been passing me by for years now which isnt like me doesnt usully go this way but its been like this for years now

Sorry for the delay. I have some surgeries to perform and so could not reply you earlier. I apologize for your waiting.

Your stress and anxiety can be cause of hair fall. Your symptoms also suggest depression. For anxiety and stress following would be helpful;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist but there are internet based approach nowadays too. CBT has higher efficacy and lower relapse rates.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root

11) Deep breathing exercises.

These would help in depression;

Following herbs can be tried;

1) Ginkgo
2) St. John's wort

There are other therapies which can be tried as following;

1) Psychotherapy;
a) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
b) Interpersonal therapy
c) Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBC)
d) Psychodynamic psychotherapy

2) Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) has been approved for the treatment of major depressive disorder.

3) Physical activity and exercise contribute to recovery from major depressive disorder.

4) Stress reduction techniques.

5) Massage and physical therapy

6) Acupuncture.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Merry Christmas.

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 11 months ago.

Hi Ciro,

Dr Chaithanya here,

Continuing our previous discussion, It can be like hair fall is more when you are taking shower, or yes there are chances that hair can be thinned out and so the scalp is seen. A hair specilaist and a dermatologist can examine your hair and let you know how much it has thinned out than normal, by performing few tests like clip test, and can treat you accordingly.

Emotional and Physical stress, endocrinological, hormonal, thyroid, pcos, and various diseases an all cause thinning of hair.

Any questions ask me or request to accept the answer with a positive rating, and we can discuss after your consultation with a dermatologist.

Hope I helped you today. If done for now, please leave positive rating [Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Chaithanya" in the medicine or health categories.

If you have any medical questions in future, save this link to reach me.

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

A bonus from your side is always welcome and appreciated!

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Wishing you all the very best,

Warm regards,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What good would psychology doctors be if i cant say what has me down and depressed and stressed?? I am very fogged up mentlly to the point that my self reflections and awareness or my ability to asess why im down is non existent
Everything i see throws me off mentally and this started happening years ago so mow very off

Psychologist and psychotherapist have some program of behavioral therapy which brings you back from state which are causing negative impact. Multiple sessions are required to bring back your zeal and positive outlook. There are other measures too like sporting activities, games like chess, yoga, meditation which can help you immensely. Collectively they can give you 100% of normalcy.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Its not so mych zeal and positive outliokk as much as it is me not feeling like myself its hfd for me to explain cause me not being myself makes explaining through asseesung what i see off in myself impossible
I woke up one morning about 7 tears ago and noticed fhat everything i was seeing in lifes patterns the nothings in life like traffic people sounds of birds etc etc was throwing me very out of focus so much that i couldnt thunk straight now i been going tbrough gbis for a/o long im a changed man ! I have trouble doing all the things i was always able to do and understand as if i never understood or was able to do them i keep saying and feeling i not me no more

As we discussed not feeling of yourself and fall of clumps of hair can be due to;

1) Hormonal issues like thyroid and adrenal dysfunctions, vitamin and other nutritional deficiencies.

2) Psychological issues with your history of past significant stress.

3) Both of above.

Your doctor can investigate by blood work and medical imaging like MRI to ascertain (and ruling out the other diseases) the cause and that would give the treatment guideline.

Both of your issues can be related. And these are treatable despite lingering on for long.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Wishing you a very happy, prosperous and healthy new year.