Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a sensation of bubbling in my inner

Customer Question

Customer: I have a sensation of bubbling in my inner ear.....frequently
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No pain.....but just the recurring bubbling sensation.....no dizziness. Pressure does increase at times. Occurs irregularly.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

How long has this sensation bothered you?

Have you had recent cold symptoms? Sinus congestion ? Sore throat at all ? Have you noticed any popping of the ear with swallowing ?

There are a few different possible causes that may lead to you having this bubbling sensation of the ear . I have seen people with the external ear canal mostly occluded with wax and then may have water such as from the shower move back and forth within the ear canal. That would be one scenario. You may have Eustacian tube dysfunction . That is the tube between the middle ear space and the back of the throat . The lack of the tube being able to equalize pressure to the middle ear space and the outside may cause fluid to accumulate in the middle ear space. This is called serous otitis media and may be a cause of your symptoms.

You need to have your ear and sinuses and throat examined to determine the cause. You may need the ear canal irrigated if wax is the problem. You may benefit from a decongestant such as MUCINEX D if you have serous otitis. If an early ear infection it may be that you would benefit from an antibiotic . A brief course of prednisone is sometimes helpful.

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD