Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Just reading your reply re coughing and blacking out
,

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Just reading your reply re coughing and blacking out
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Had a cough with catarrh for past 2 weeks. Cough has got less frequent but twice now I have passed out for a couple of seconds during a coughing fit
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: then I am ok again
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You still there?
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 11 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The common cause of passing out during a coughing bout is lack of blood supply to the brain. But there can be concomitant causes too as following;

1) bradyarrhythmias; this is sudden slowing of the heart. it is mainly due to sinus and atrial node dysfunctions. Sick sinus syndrome is a prototype of these arrhythmias and is a major cause for syncope. 24 hour Holter monitoring, echocardiography etc are the investigations done for it.

2) neurocardiogenic mechanisms; this is fall of the blood pressure suddenly due to a sudden sympathetic failure (failure of the autonomic nervous system).

3) carotid hypersensitivity syndrome is an exaggerated response to carotid sinus stimulation.

4) orthostatic hypotension is due to failure of autonomic nervous system and related heart regulatory mechanisms.

Having said that; cough need to be treated and most likely cause is post nasal drip with your description. It is also called as Chronic Upper Airway Cough Syndrome Secondary to Rhinosinus (nose and sinus) Diseases (Postnasal Drip Syndrome). The pathogenesis of this cough is mechanical stimulation of the cough reflex in the upper airway.

The treatment is;

1) nasal saline spray; do not need prescription for it.

2) nasal corticosteroids / nasal cromolyn / nasal antihistamines may also be needed,

3) oral leukotriene inhibitors and

4) oral antihistamines; you may try Claritin D which is over the counter.

Treating the cause of cough should be able to get rid of the passing out issue.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.