Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Would a be able to pass a urinalysis with a cutoff of 2000

Customer Question

Customer: Would a be able to pass a urinalysis with a cutoff of 2000 ng/ml after taking one tylenol 3 approximately 36 hours prior?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I took 1 tylenol 3 approximately 36 hours prior to a urinalysis. I am a female 35, i weigh 145 lbs and hydrate regularly. I am wondering if my results will exceed the 2000 ng/ml threshold
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

A single Tylenol 3 would have 30mg of codeine .This would not be anywhere close to causing a level in urine of 2000 ng/ml 36 hours later ...You would have nothing to worry about in this regard.

I hope that this is helpful for you

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Expert:  Chris C. replied 11 months ago.

These are the normal federal standard cutoff levels for urine testing:

Drug Test Cutoff Levels for the (EMIT) Test

Drug Nanograms per Milliliter (ng/ml)
Marijuana metabolites 50
Cocaine metabolites 150
Opiate metabolites 1 2000
Phencyclidine (PCP) 25
Amphetamines 2 500

1 Labs are permitted to initial test all specimens for 6-acetylmorphine at a 10 ng/ml cutoff
2 Target analyte must be d-methamphetamine and the test must significantly cross-react with MDMA, MDA, and MDEA

If the initial urine sample shows a positive result the verification is done at the following cutoff levels vis MS/GC:

Drug Test Cutoff Levels for the (GC/MS) Test

Drug Nanograms per Milliliter (ng/ml)
Marijuana metabolite 1 15
Cocaine metabolite 2 100

Opiates
Morphine 2000
Codeine 2000
6-acetylmorphine 4 10
Phencyclidine (PCP) 25

Amphetamines
Amphetamine 25
Methamphetamine 3 25
MDMA 25
MDA 25
MDEA 25

1 Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol-9-carboxylic acid
2 Benzoylecgonine
3 Specimen must also contain d-amphetamine at a concentration > 100 ng/ml
4 Labs test for 6-acetylmorphine when the morphine concentration exceeds 2,000 ng/ml

With these detection times (the same as you said was to be used at 2000ng/ml) the following are standard detection times in which you will show a positive result:

Codeine Tylenol w/codeine, Robitussin A-C, Empirin w/codeine, Fiorinal w/codeine Analgesic, antitussive

Detectable for 5-7 days

With 36 hours since your last ingestion of codeine you are still inside the detection window for a positive result. This does depend on your intake of fluid and an increase during the pre-test period will reduce the level. So you "should" be safe but you are well within the window in which you will show a positive result.