Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

I receive my Meir report and I 't understand what it mean by

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** receive my Meir report and I don't understand what it mean by saying a partially visualized heterogeneous mass arising lower pole of the right kidney
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

This was an MRI report you mean, right?

You need to follow up with your doctor in this finding.

Why did you have the study done ?

Have you had abnormal findings on urinalysis ? Blood present ?

It sounds concerning and you need follow up without delay in this.

Possible diagnoses could include a kidney tumor or cancer.

This second hand relay of information is by no means any way to make a diagnosis. So let me be clear that I am not diagnosing you with anything!! The information you give does open up this possibility of a kidney tumor as a possibility It seems .

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Expert:  Chris C. replied 11 months ago.

A heterogeneous mass is a tumor with both normal cells and neoplastic cells which are cells of abnormal growth tissue (cancer). basically on the MRI this is a mass of tissue of varying types (heterogeneous) which is enhanced or of a different color on the MRI than the surrounding tissues. This can be a generic description of a tissue mass or if other symptoms are present it can be more serious. A biopsy may be in order to get a tissue diagnosis. The lower pole is simply where the mass is located. These should help explain the position. Keep in mind that this can just be from a poor MRI and upon repeat the mass/node/cyst may not be of a cancerous nature or show at all. A follow-up MRI would be needed and if still present a biopsy of the mass taken to visualize it under a microscope to positively identify it. At this point there is a reason for concern but NOT panic.