Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I received a cortisone shot to treat a cystic pimple on my

Customer Question

Customer: I received a cortisone shot to treat a cystic pimple on my forehead 4 weeks ago. Since then, the spot has completely sunken in--it looks like a fingerprint indentation. My dermatologist seemed confident it would resolve itself and administered a saline injection. I'm wondering how long these atrophied spots can take to heal, if a one-time saline injection is the right choice or if I should be doing them weekly, for example--and is there anything else I can do to help the healing process?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I had a very large cystic pimple on my forehead and go the cortisone injection 4 days later. It took several days for the spot to diminish in size, and at some point I thought it finally vanished--until I woke up one day and saw a slight redness/dent. Each day after, it only got worse/deeper and more pronounced. I have a collagen serum I've been applying since the saline shot 2 days ago, but I'm concerned that I should be doing more to help it heal or that it will require saline shots on a more regular basis. I overall have very healthy skin and rarely break out, and I take very good care of my skin. Just want to know what I can do to make this go away. (Not sure I've helped in giving you more details!)
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 12 months ago.

Hi

The cortisone injection has diminished some of the subcutaneous fat in the area but that will reconstitute itself in time--but it may take at least another month or two

The collagen serum may help a little but really it just takes time. Oral vitamin A and E supplements for a couple of weeks may also speed up the process a bit.

Let me know if you need any more information please