Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My 8 year old son had an MRI scan yesterday because he lacks

Customer Question

My 8 year old son had an MRI scan yesterday because he lacks energy and suffers headaches, all was wellexcept she found a vein in the middle of his brain which she had to check but I'm wondering why she had to check it and if it should be there
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The extra vein usually is not problematic. But with his symptoms and MRI findings, it is likely to be malformation (abnormal formation). Veins in the brain are called as sinus. Malformation of the sinus or arteries (like aneurysm) can cause many manifestations. These can be identified by angiogrpahy or magnetic resonance arteriography (MRA). Minor surgerical procedures can get rid of them and cure them completely.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response, my concern is his lack of energy he is always tired and a few months ago he slept for three days

You are very welcome.

I am not sure if his following investigations were done, which may give clue to cause for lack of energy:

1) Complete blood count,

2) Erythrocyte sedimentation rate,

3) Thyroid function tests,

4) Muscle enzymes;

5) Anti-nuclear antibodies (ANA)

6) Adrenal function test

7) Anti-dsDNA

8) Anti-Sm

9) Anti-SSA (Ro) or Anti-SSB (La)

10) Coombs test

11) Anti-histone

12) Creatinine kinase

13) Blood culture

14) Urine culture

15) EBV antibodies.

These are likely to point to a diagnosis.

It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has had some blood tests I am English but live in Montenegro which is very third world and there is a language difference... He had a thyroid test and it was slightly high 2 months later he had another one and it was normal

An high thyroid which became normal may indicate autoimmune thyroiditis. This may explain the lack of energy. This may go in low thyroid in 6-12 months later on and thus serial estimation of thyroid function tests every 3 months are recommended.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also has a slightly orange colour to his skin

Orange color to skin can be due to medications, if he is taking any. Issues related to liver disorder, also cause it. Liver function tests like SGOT, SGPT etc would be advised.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok! Thank you

You are most welcome.

Please rate the interaction as this is the only way we experts are compensated for time and expertise.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Merry Christmas and Happy new year 2016.