Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have recently started birth control pills and been on them

Customer Question

I have recently started birth control pills and been on them for 3 1/2 weeks now, I woke up this morning experiencing some pain in my lower calf muscle and it has continued to hurt through out the day more so in my upper calf now? Should I be concerned
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Since the pill does give you some risk of clotting, this could be a deep venous thrombosis in the leg and that can lead to a life-threatening pulmonary embolus if not identified and treated quickly

Usually with a DVT there's leg swelling along with the pain so if it's just the pain and nothing else, it could just be a muscle cramp but since I can't examine you I'm obligated to advise you to have a doctor check this out right away

Let me know if you need any more information please