Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I need some sound advice. Yesterday my girlfriend was at

Customer Question

Hi Justin yes I need some sound advice. Yesterday my girlfriend was at work and stuck herself trying to recap a insulin needle for one of her clients. The needle was one of many he had laying in drawer in his room so she was pretty sure he hadn't just used it. He is HIV positive with no other issues. She is currently on meds as of last night. Should we be worried?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Of course it the needle was unused there's no worry here. Even if it were used, there wouldn't likely have been any blood in it

If you were referring to PEP meds, they are approximately 99% effective in preventing infection with the HIV virus

So my suggestion is that she be screened for HIV in three months to cover all the bases and to be certain she hasn't contracted the virus

Let me know if you need any more information please