Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Dear Dr. Arun Phophalia: I have corresponded with you

Customer Question

Dear Dr. Arun Phophalia: I have corresponded with you previously about my medical problem, You may recall that I have an enlarged prostate, and I am using a catheter. In October, I was on a tour bus and held my urine for a long period of time. Apparently,
this caused my prostate to swell, and presently I am unable to urinate without without the use of a catheter. My urologist prescribed two drugs, namely, Rapaflo and Dutasteride. I have been taking these drugs for about three weeks, with little improvement.
Though my urologist's assistant informed me that that Dutasteride only shows results after three months of use. My urologist is now recommending laser surgery. I would like to ask you for your opinion as to what would me the best treatment for the enlarged
prostate. Should I just continue taking the medications until they reduce the prostate or undergo some form of surgery. Thank you in advance for your advice Sincerely, ***** *****
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome, Alan.

Criteria for undergoing the surgery are;

1) Medications not relieving the symptoms in 12 weeks.

2) Prostate size more than 40-50 gms. Ultrasound can detect the size and weight of the prostate.

So if both the above criteria are met; you may undergo surgery.

Before surgery, you may get video urodynamics for a comprehensive assessment.

It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr. Phophalia,Thank you for your response. I do have other questions about the treatments available for my enlarged prostate and my sudden inability to urinate.After 3 weeks of taking Rapaflo and Dutasteride, my urologist wanted to perform Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP). However, I believed that he was not giving the medicine enough time to work. Also, I dislike TURP, because of the strong likelihood of developing retrograde ejaculation. Could you suggest a medication or a natural substance that would relieve my symptoms. What would suggest I do, if after 12 weeks the medicine does not relieve the symptoms. Are there any natural alternatives or other medicines that could possibly shrink the prostate? Also, would procedures such as TUIP, laser surgery, TUMT, TUNA and ILC relieve the symptoms without causing retrograde ejaculation?Additionally, would it be possible for me to learn how to remove and insert my catheter? I ask this question because it would be very helpful if I was able to test myself and determine if I can urinate.There are times, when wearing the catheter, that I feel the urge to urinate and urine seeps out around the catheter. Perhaps this is a sign that the medicine is working.Thank you very much for your advice.Sincerely
Alan Macaluso

You are very welcome, Alan.

Learning the catheter inserting is not difficult but is not recommended as there is a significant chance of infection.

Laser for prostate is by far the best procedure and results are as good as TURP.

These are the plant origin agents which can help in decreasing the size of prostate;

• African plum tree bark

• Stinging nettle roots

• Saw palmetto, (American dwarf palm) fruit

• Pumpkin seeds

• South African star grass roots

• Rye pollen

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Let me know please, if you have further queries.

My best,

Hi Alan,

I would appreciate a positive rating as this is the only way we are compensated for time.

Thank you.

Regards,

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 11 months ago.

Merry Christmas and Happy new year 2016.