Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Not sure if raise bump(s) on skin is hpv or not. The bump(s)

Customer Question

Not sure if raise bump(s) on skin is hpv or not. The bump(s) are near the base of my shaft and have been there for over a year. No other bumps have become apparent. I am able to attach photos if necessary.
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

Do you have any history of unprotected sex with multiple partners?

Are your partners tested for HPV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No unprotected sex. Any time I did was with my partner of 2 years. After we broke up any intimacy was always done with protection. I believe all my partners have been screened and to my knowledge disease free.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
female partners
*heterosexual intercourseJust for clarification.
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

There are sebaceous glands near the base of penis and secrete an oily or waxy substance.They serve to lubricate the hair and skin. On the penis, they may appear off-white or yellow in color. Although they are very small, the sebaceous glands may be visible because the tissues of the organ are thin and easier to see beneath.

Some individuals may have more noticeable glands than others. This is normal, and they cannot be removed through squeezing.Doing so could lead to an infection, so it is best to leave them alone.

They may not require any treatment.In case if these get infected from shaving etc than antibiotic cream can be helpful.

Also in males usually no test are done for HPV and only females are tested for HPV DNA test.

In men only visible warts by HPV are treated by various methods.

Most HPV infection in males clear on their own if immunity is good.

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to tell visually? The bump is fleshy and dark.
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Can you send the picture please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both areas are near the base of the shaft and sit between a fold of skin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the other side sitting in a fold of skin out stretched. It is definitely raised to a degree.
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Most of the area has reddish bump and present in hairy area and can be due to mild infection ??Folliculitis.

If the symptoms don't improve further with antibiotic cream like mupirocin other differential diagnosis like HPV may be considered.If symptoms show marked improvement with antibiotic cream it can be infact bacterial folliculitis.

Also if possible you should verify your partner reports of the routine PAP test and HPV test.

You may discuss this with your primary care physician/dermatologist for further diagnosis and management.