Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

I had a sudden onset pain in my left elbow without any

Customer Question

I had a sudden onset pain in my left elbow without any physical injury preceding the pain. I was freediving today was well under maximum depth/time and had adequate surface intervals between dives so seriously doubt anything to do with decompression sickness especially since absolutely fine in all other ways except my Sp O2 is 94-96% instead of usually 98-99%.
About a year and a half ago I had a severe case of osteomylitus in my back but no infection or signs of infection in my elbow at any time and completed 6 weeks of IV antibiotics and a month of oral antibiotics with no signs of relapse unless this unexplained elbow pain is related to that.
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Do you have neck pain?

Swelling,redness on elbow?

Is it continuous or come & go pain?

Numbness,tingling sensation?

Do you feel pain at certain positions?

Are you taking any medicines

Thanks.

Waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have neck pain? NoSwelling,redness on elbow? there is slight swelling but no redness or skin irritationIs it continuous or come & go pain? continuous ache but substantially more pain when bending towards 90 degrees or straight (halfway between 90 and straight is position of least pain. turning hand/wrist either direction also causes substantial pain but bending wrist up and down does not have an affectNumbness,tingling sensation? noDo you feel pain at certain positions? pain at all positions but toleratble pain when elbow is bent half way between straight and 90 degrees, bending elbow or twisting wrist makes pain much worse (as does just leaving it straight or bent but not as bad as durring actual movement)Are you taking any medicines? no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my main concern is that I don't remember doing anything to sprain or otherwise injury it and even if I had but forgot about it (since I am very active) the pain is signifcantly more than a typical sprain would be. when moving it I would compare the level of pain to when I broke my leg in high school
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for late reply.

I understand your concern and it's my pleasure to help you in every aspect.

As per your description, your symptoms are suggestive of Bursitis/ Tendonitis.

And it can be caused due to repetitive strain or muscular overexertion

Sometimes person doesn't experience any direct injury however repetitive gradual straining can cause sudden pain.

You should take OTC Advil 3 times a day.

Also do gentle massage with topical diclofenac sodium ointment.

And wear a brace.

Consult your orthopedist for a clinical exam.

Hope this helps.

I'm here to discuss further queries until you get satisfied with our conversation.
Please press reply button rather than give poor/bad service.
Positive feedback is appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

If you have any further question then you can ask me.
I'm here to discuss further query until you get satisfaction.
Positive feedback is appreciated.
Thanks.