Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I often have a feeling of mucus sitting in my throat

Customer Question

Hi I often have a feeling of mucus sitting in my throat especially just after I sit up in the morning. I can't swallow it or cough it up. I was told by an ENT I have a deviated septum and should have surgery. I do not have hayfever or a runny nose but often feels like high up in my nose is blocked and I often feel short of breath as I prefer to nose breath but at times I have to open my mouth just to get enough oxygen. I often hear a whistle sound through my nose and throat especially if my throat has a blob of mucus constantly sitting there. I guess this makes it hard for air to get through my throat and results in a wheeze sound and short of breath. At night or in cool temp I get a regular tickle in my mouth and throat which causes a sudden choking cough. Always a dry cough only. Sometimes wakes me up choking I guess on the mucus plug in my throat. Does this all sound like from deviated septum or anything else and do you think surgery on septum will solve this. Had for 5 years now.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Do you have cough?

Have you tried any medications?

Headache?

Thanks.

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dry tickly cough at times. No coughing mucus. Nasonex and antihistamine which didn't help. No headache
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is specifically for an ENT
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

It’s my first priority to serve you.
Thanks for providing more information.

Well as you describe,possibly deviated septum is main contributing factor in your case.

However Allergic sinusitis can be other possible cause.

You should try some self care measures until you consider surgery for it.

As medications are only a temporary fix, however, and won't correct a deviated septum.

Try steam inhalation and also do saline gargles(to relieve phlegm at back of throat) & nasal irrigation(to relieve nasal congestion).

Use of Neti pot is recommended for persons suffering with deviated septum.
Also you can try sleeping with your head propped up in an elevated position which lessens head congestion and noises may become less noticeable.
Use a humidifier in your room also.

If you have any further query then we can discuss it thoroughly rather than give us poor/bad service.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did everything.
As mucus in throat would that cause wheeze from throat?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Well mucus trickle down in your throat and cause irritation in response to which you cough.

When you lay down you gets more cough that's again because of that infected sputum irritating your throat at the posterior pharyngeal wall.

Also mucus blocks larynx(voice box) resulting in wheezing sound.

It's good to see your doctor again to check associated infection and treatment accordingly.

Hope this helps.

If you are satisfied with our conversation then bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.

Feel free for further queries.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I have tried medication including inhalers but that did nothing. I had acute bronch for 2 weeks 2 months ago and nose has been a bit worse since then.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

I understand your concern.

Well as you have already tried conservative measures with little relief.

So you should again see your ENT specialist and consider surgical intervention.

I wish you to get proper treatment and relief.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One other question, I have noticed I perspire more now than usual with same amount of exercise is that normal
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Are your periods regular?

Are you overweight?

Mood swings,irritability?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing different
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not overweight, not sick etc
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Well excessive perspiration can be caused due to infection,thyroid dysfunction,Diabetes which should be ruled out in your case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a diabetic and have hashimotos but not related. I have had pins and needles in legs and feet at times, so just checking neither pins and needles or sudden sweating during usual exercise is heart. I am not short of breath.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Pins and needles sensation(paresthesia) and excessive sweating can be associated with Diabetes( diabetic neuropathy).

Your fasting lipid panel should be checked also.

As diabetes can increase the risk of heart disease.

Even sometimes heart disease can be silent with no symptoms.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I check neuropathy? My leg and feet circulation and nerve sensation were checked 3 months ago and were excellent. Is that what you mean or something else?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

As you have such symptoms developed recently so you should see your doctor again for a clinical examination.

Your doctor is likely to check your muscle strength and tone, tendon reflexes, and sensitivity to touch, temperature and vibration.

Your doctor may also conduct tests that include:

Filament test.
Nerve conduction studies.
Electromyography (EMG).
Quantitative sensory testing.
Autonomic testing. If you have symptoms of autonomic neuropathy, your doctor may request special tests to look at your blood pressure in different positions and assess your ability to sweat.

So consult your doctor for further evaluation and management.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Are these tests all for diabetic neuropathy or other things?
And you don't think pins and needles or additional perspiration during exercise is heart or lungs or blood pressure?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Most likely related to Diabetes in your case as per your description.

Otherwise your doctor in person checks all the organs during physical examination.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok please clarify the following -
1. mucus in throat causes wheeze in throat due to blockage and irritation of larynx?
2. Mucus in throat irritated throat causing a dry cough?
4. Confirms mucus is not in lungs as I do not cough mucus at all?
4. Likely diabetes for pins and needles and require tests?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Yes,mucus in throat causes wheeze in throat due to blockage and irritation of larynx and also cause a dry cough.

Most likely it's not mucus is not in lungs.

You have nasal congestion and deviated septum.

Yes, Likely diabetes for pins and needles and require tests.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If mucus is in throat the dry cough is just irritation correct?If mucus is lungs would that be a productive cough?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Well all are interconnected (nose,throat,pharynx,lungs) and you have history of bronchitis and deviated septum so mucus can flow in respiratory tract and block any part causing cough.

Chest X-ray also be done.

We can't definitely say 100 %.

However most likely your symptoms are related to deviated septum.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only coughed up mucus when had bronch lasted 2 days. Never coughed up mucus before or after but have had mucus in throat for 5 years on and off. I don't think lungs as doctor said clear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bronchitis was once and finished after 2 weeks with antibiotics. No history as that was the only time I ever had a chest infection. X-ray showed mild inflamm at time of bronch with fever but all cleared. No X-ray done since as go said no wheeze or fluid in lungs. Mucus in throat at times for 5 years when ENt diag deviated septum as cause.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

I understand your concern.

So as you describe,most likely you don't have lung infection or mucus,cough originated from lungs.

Main root is sinuses and your symptoms are related to sinusitis/Deviated septum.

Hoe this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please complete question answers
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Feel free for further queries.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you confirm mucus is in throat? Only asking since bronchitis but the throat mucus was before and not coughed up. I said GP said chest is clear. Do you agree with GP and ENt that is mucus in throat from sinus
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Yes,i also agree and confirm mucus in in throat.

Don't worry.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As u never have chest infections, asthma or breathing issues nor productive cough, I believe only upper as all dr's have always told me upper Resp infection, sinus swelling and dry cough all from sinus nothing in chest.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Yes.it's upper respiratory tract infection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As long as you confirm my symptoms and not just saying it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As in the symptoms I said are what septum and sinus actually are not because the GP said it too
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

We are talking for last few hours.

And you had described me every symptoms.

So i assure you that your symptoms are related to upper respiratory tract infection.

Even i initially told you in my second reply that

possibly deviated septum is main contributing factor in your case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you could just reconfirm why you agree it is all from sinus not past chest infection or problem then I will be able to score and close.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

I again reconfirm definitely it's all from sinus.

So don't worry at all.