Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My right foot hurt when I bend on heel or when I bend toes.

Customer Question

my right foot hurt when I bend on heel or when I bend toes. Hurt when I put on a high heel no matter what the inches are. I feel a mask moving next to my ankle at side of the ankle
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

You have developed a condition called Plantar fasciitis.
Plantar fasciitis is caused by a strain of the ligaments in an area of the foot called the plantar fascia. The fascia (pronounced FASH-uh) is a thick, pearly white tissue with long fibers that starts at the heel bone and fans out along the under surface of the foot to the toes. The fascia provides support as the toes bear the body's weight when the heel rises during walking.
Effective treatments for plantar fasciitis include the following:

Rest — Limiting athletic activities and getting extra rest can help to reduce symptoms. Excessive and repetitive heel impact from jumping, walking, and use of a trampoline should be avoided. A complete lack of physical activity, though, can lead to stiffening and a return of pain, and is not recommended.

Icing — Applying ice to the area, for example, for 20 minutes up to four times daily, may relieve pain. Ice and massage may also be used before exercise.

Exercise — Exercise may be helpful.
Please follow these exercises shown in the link below:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM02897

Protective footwear — Athletic shoes, arch supporting shoes (particularly those with an extra-long counter, which is the firm part of the shoe that surrounds the heel), or shoes with rigid shanks (usually a metal insert in the sole of the shoe) may be helpful. Cushion-soled shoes with gel pad inserts or heel cups may provide temporary pain relief. Silicone inserts have been found to provide better support than felt pads or rubber heel cups.
Dr Scholl's is a good brand.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/