Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I keep forgetting, and unable to remember things lately.

Customer Question

I keep forgetting, and unable to remember things lately. Like a friends name, the next appointment i have to be at and the future appointments i dont remember scheduelling.. And its effecting my work. I take 40mg of fluoxetine, 50mg of quetiapine, and
when needed, 1 tablet of lorazepam and 1-2 zopliclones... Could this be a side effect from the meda im taking? Or is it likely to be something else... Im beginning to feel very confused/worried about these symptoms..
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

What psychiatric conditions do you have? The Quetiapine is an anti-psychotic type of medication which may be used in schizophrenia or Bipolar disorder >> Based on the combination of meds that you list I suspect that you are being treated for Bipolar depression with anxiety as well (Is that correct or other??)

All of these are psychiatric active medications.. while they may be to your benefit it is also possible that combinations of these types may increase side effect potential (Example Quetiapine plus Zopiclone may increase side effects of dizziness, drowsiness, difficulty concentrating...potential impairment of thinking and judgment)

I think that the zopiclone would be most likley to potentially affect your memory transiently..

I would discuss your concerns with your prescribing doctor. Consider other medication for Zopiclone would be my firtst consideration from your list of meds...

I hope that this information is helpful. Let me know if you have further questions or discussion. I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes i hear things, but both the quetiapine and zopiclone were used more for my insomnia. You are right i have bipolar depression, anxiety, frequent panic attcks and insomnia. I dont know if i should stick with the medicine (cuz it has helped a lot) or if i should take the risk of changing meds again..
Thanks

Hello again,

Yes it is not a simple issue as you may really NEED and BENEFIT from the medicines as prescribed. The perception of difficulty with memory may also relate to the psychiatric condition of your bipolar disorder. So I advise to discuss this concern with your prescribing doctor. Don't make changes without this discussion with your doctor however...

Let me know if I may be of further help. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD