A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I'm a 28 year old male. last 5 days I've had pain while

Customer Question

I'm a 28 year old male. For the last 5 days I've had pain while urinating, most of the time I have a constant urge to urinate but am unable, and sometimes blood is present. I'm also experiencing pain in my lower back and my lower abdomen.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

These symptoms sound most probably a urinary tract infection, but you would need to see a provider or go to a clinic for urinalysis to make sure. They are easily treated with antibiotics if an infection is found.

Please let me know if I can answer further questions about this for you.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can you tell the difference between a UTI and a kidney stone?

A urinalysis can determine if there is an infection or not. Infections can travel up the urinary tract to the kidneys. Kidney stones can be diagnosed with blood tests (too much calcium or uric acid), 24-hour urine collection, or imaging studies such as ultrasound, xray or CT scan.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that makes sense. I'm wondering though specifically the difference in symptoms of a UTI vs. a kidney stone. In other words, what is suggesting that it's an infection as opposed to a stone?

Symptoms vary all over the map. There is no one thing that suggests one rather than the other. The fact that you are male may slightly favor a kidney infection or stone. But the severity of symptoms doesn't prove one or the other. Back pain indicates that the kidneys may be involved, but the symptoms would be the same with infection versus stone.

You should go to your medical provider or the ER if the pain gets worse.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~