Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have been doctoring with my family doctor along with the

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** have been doctoring with my family doctor along with the oncologist, regarding my low wbc, this time the result came back at 2.1. The best that it has ever been has been 2.5. I found this out when I gave birth to my son which was 33 years ago and even at that time my dr. wanted to perform a bone marrow draw, but decided against the procedure. Now my oncologist wants to perform the procedure. Not sure if I really need this procedure or not. I am a healthy 60 year woman, that takes no medications. I am appros. 5'5'' and weigh in at 117. lbs. What are your thoughts
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris. If only your WBC is low and not your RBC count or your platelet count then I see no reason for the bone marrow procedure. If you had pancytopenia--all three blood elements low--then the procedure would be necessary but if only your WBC is low, there's no need for it.

Let me know if you need more information please