Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a terrible cough and my throat closes up and I cannot

Customer Question

I have a terrible cough and my throat closes up and I cannot catch my breath, my Physician gave me Benzonatate I took it on Wednesday and not yesterday because I was having heasaches, I started on it again today (lack of sleep) along with MucinexDM, is that ok. I have had this a week now.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Tell me more about trouble catching your breath ...do you mean due to coughing fit or withbtge illness in general ??

Did your doctor think this was viral in nature ?

Do you have wheezing ?

Any fever or chills?

Any pain of chest or back with deep breath or cough??

Yes it should be ok to take the perles of Tessalon (Benzonatate) along with Mucines DM --- that is not a problem. .no problem interaction

I'm concerned for you as saying the cough is so bad that you can't sleep and that you have at least periods of shortness of breath ...

Issues of concern --- possible benefit from antibiotic if this is bacterial bronchitis or pneumonia ...you may need antibiotic if not currently on one ...you may need inhalers if wheezing ...shortness of breath of worse or a problem may need further evaluation

So possibles could include viral lower respiratory infection// bacterial lower respiratory infection// bronchospasm// bronchitis possible diagnosis // pneumonia possible diagnosis//

Of you have worsened in past 24 to 48 hours then re-evaluation may be needed...

If you have significant ongoing shortness of breath then that needs follow up....

If new symptoms of concern such as fever or racing pulse then follow up may be needed in your case

You may need chest xray ( if none have been done ) you may need to have respiratory function checked ( pulse ox / peak flow / spirometry)

You may need blood check to look at CBC with differential (= complete blood count )

If bronchospasm or wheezing then you may benefit from beonchodilator treatment ( Albuterol or Xopenex/ Atrovent )

If you have not been placed on antibiotic treatment then more evaluation may lead to this treatment being added...

So you may consider follow up tonight with ER ...possibly tomorrow at urgent care

Let me know further details that may be helpful. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards ,

Anthony Bray MD