Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My boy was diagnosed with type1 diabetes Oct 11, 2014, all

Customer Question

hello my boy was diagnosed with type1 diabetes Oct 11 , 2014, all the past year we managed to keep his blood sugar within normal levels, all this year he was on a 14 units of Lantus in the morning, if he messes up with high carbs food, then he takes one
or 2 units of Humalog. he plays tennis about 2 hours/day, we used to give him a combination of this sugar formula http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-condition-specific-formulas-blood-sugar-essentials-cinnamon-extract-90-caps along with Bitter melon tablets,
Ceylon cinnamon, black seed extract , fish oil and multi mineral. he wears a dexcom monitor . he celebrated his 11th birthday this October 20th , and things started to go south so bad, his blood sugar has been in the 300's and even high 400's, nothing had
been changed at all of his diet or lifestyle, ad per his doctor , we had to increase the Lantus to 17 units and almost takes 3-4 shots a day of the Humalog. we will take him to his diabetes doctor after 3 days , she has always of made fun of the natural supplements
that we gave him. my question is: every time we visit her, she just do a A1C test and that is all, is there any further tests I can ask her to do? I mean overall health to know the cause behind blood sugar fluctuations? I know she will tell us upfront that
his pancreas is dead and non-functioning and he has to wear a pump. thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

What was the value of his latest Hg A1C test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have to perform one today but:
when he was diagnosed: 11
3 months later ?: 6.1
3 months later: 7.1
3 months later: 7.1
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

OK

Sorry for all the questions but can you give me a detailed listing of his diet and food consumption?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
his A1C test now is 9.6is that an emergency ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

And what is his blood glucose at present?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blood sugar is now 131
it is been stable since yesterday between 110-180 for almost 24 hours
ketone level is normal
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Then no emergency but we've sort of gotten off the track here--how exactly can I help you?