Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My hsv 1 is 3.73 and hsv 2 is greater than 5. My partner

Customer Question

My hsv 1 is 3.73 and hsv 2 is greater than 5. My partner took test at a different hospital and the report read positive for 1 and 2 but the glychoprotein for 1 is positive and for 2 the glychoprotein is negative. What is going on
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The glycoprotein test is considered slightly more sensitive than the usual test for HSV 1 and 2 (which is Elisa test). The reason of getting glycoprotein test is to differentiate between HSV 1 and 2 antibodies. Many times Elisa test can come positive for HSV 2 by the HSV 1 antibodies. Since glycoportien test is more sensitive so it can differentiate between the two (better than Elisa test which showed positive for both 1 &2 in your partner).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Hope you are doing good.

Let me know if I can do anything further for you.