Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My wife delivered our 2nd child at 30 weeks. She had

Customer Question

My wife delivered our 2nd child at 30 weeks. She had complete plasenta previa and it has now been 5 days that she has been constipated. An enema was attempted today, which did not work. What can be done now?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Sometimes a series of two sequential enemas may be used so a second enema might be of help...

Has she had much to eat in the past week ?

Is her abdomen distended?

Is she in much pain?

If abdomen distended or she has much abdominal pain then she may need to be seen at ER >> in THIS case I would worry about a possible bowel obstruction.. this would need to be addressed in hospital if this should be the case...

One possibility would be if she has had very little to eat then she might then not pass much..

She just delivered her child as in 5 days ago?? ( to clarify if she delivered also 5 days ago vs just been constipated for 5 days..)

AS she probably had a C-section ?? ( presuming this to be the case as you say she had placenta previa ) then she may more likely have an ileus ( sleepy bowel post-op..) that is common problem post-op... The bowel may be kind of in a state of shock in days after surgery .. she may hbe nauseated as well if that is the case..

Also a factor could be pain medications which are also constipating..

Senokot S 2 tablets twice a day may be helpful for pain medication related constipation..

If she is just now home from hospital with this problem then I advise that you call her doctor tomorrow ( or doctor on call for her this evening ) the OB/GYN caring for her would be covering her for such problems as this soon after surgery of discharge from hospital

I hope that this information is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD