Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My i am contacting you now because i have been having a

Customer Question

Hi my i am contacting you now because i have been having a problem for about 10 hears now and need answers.
When I was 19 i lost my virginity, i was on the last day of my period but my partner and i decided to have sex anyway.
My vagina 2as very dry so we used some petroleum jelly, a couple days later i began itching cordy discharge and my vagina had no at all as it normally did before. I used monostat 1 day ovul insert and the next day i say my partner again. I was feeling better so we decieded to have sex again which seemed fine even though the instructions said not to have sex for a few days. 10 years later, and my discharge never returned to normal, my vagina still has no smell yet there is no itching or burning down there... I did have and was treated for trichomoniasis and pid back in 2010. That same year i noticed warts inside my vagina above my clit but they went away on there own. I did go to a gynecologist but once i left i never heard anything back.
Please help me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Is your main concern persistent discharge?

Was a STD screening done for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An std screening wasn't done at that time but in 2010 i was std screened and treated for trich, and pid.
I still have no smell down there, and yes the discharge os persistant except for when i am ovulating or have gotten my menstral cycle.

Thanks for the further information. Firstly I would consider following;

1) Physiological leukorrhea; this refers to generally not bad smelling, mucous, white or yellowish vaginal discharge in the absence of a pathological cause. It is not accompanied by other signs and symptoms, such as itching, pain, burning or irritation.

Physiological leukorrhea is usually due to estrogen induced changes. Although the reason for the increased or altered discharge is not always known, one can be reassured that this is unlikely to be a pathologic finding (if there is a normal vaginal and cervical examination, normal vaginal pH), normal findings on microscopy, and negative amine test. Treatment is then unnecessary.

2) Vaginal discharge due to

a) irritants (scented panty liners, spermicides, soaps and perfumes, and local application drugs)

and

b) allergens (latex condoms, topical antifungal agents, seminal fluid).

So you may consider these above as the initial diagnostic possibilites.

The other possibilites of the diagnosis are;

1) Chronic yeast infection

2) Desquamative vaginitis

Desquamative vaginitis is not due to infection. It is due to chemical hypersensitivity if there is a history of repeated vaginal medicines use, which, after all, are chemicals. Following treatment would help you in that case;

1) Get a refillable script for Acigel vaginal cream with applicator. Begin with 1/2 applicator at bedtime every other night for two weeks.

2) Then increase to a full applicator every other night for two weeks.

3) Then, use one applicator every night for seven days before the next period.

4) You can help restore the normal bowel flora by eating live bacterial culture yogurt every day for a few weeks and take acidophilus tablets three times a day for one month.

5) You do not have to use the Acigel while menstruating. Do not use tampons until the treatments end.

6) Wear loose, all cotton underwear as they absorbs body moisture.

7) Wipe front to back when you urinate or have a bowel movement. Bowel bacteria can infect vagina.

8) Do not shave the vulvar area as the pubic hair protects against chemicals making contact with the skin.

9) Avoid all chemicals in the Vulvo vaginal area.
10) Avoid pantyhose and tight pants such as jeans which trap moisture near in the perineum
11) After exercise or any sweat producing activity, bathing or swimming, make sure the perineum is air dried., Moist surfaces that rub against each other break down and provide an area for yeast secondary growth ,

12) Follow a low carbohydrate diet. Take steroids, antibiotics and oral contraceptives only if very necessary.

Some women experience chronic recurrent vulvovaginitis (chronic yeast infection), which is another diagnostic possibilty as we had discussed), which often require long-term or prophylactic oral azole therapy for control. So for that, the recommended regimen is fluconazole 150 mg every other day for 3 doses, followed by weekly fluconazole 150-200 mg for 6 months. This regimen abate the symptoms and prevents further recurrence in majority of women.

Boric acid wash for vagina can be used in resistant cases, as an alternative measure with the consultation of your physician.A specific culture; Nickerson or Sabouraud mediums should be performed in refractory or recurrent cases of vaginal candidiasis to confirm the infection. So you can talk to your doctor to get this culture before you start the treatment.

Women who do not improve with above can use, clotrimazole 500 mg vaginal suppositories administered once per week for six months which is also effective.

Also avoid (if you do) following;

1) panty liners,

2) pantyhose,

3) sexual lubricants.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you.