Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Dr chip i have a concern. i have been on topamax 50 mg.

Customer Question

Dr chip i have a concern. i have been on topamax 50 mg. For five weeks lost 10lb. Avt first my appetite wad bad nlw its better i am just eattiing less. Well two people saw my picture and said i look like i have cancer. and with and anxiety issue u can emagine what it does. I still have alot of gerd i dont take anythi g for it and not fear of esopgegal cancer.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Why did they say you look like you have cancer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

because they say i lost weight and looked tired .now because of my egerd and indigestion iam scared if i nedd barium test. at first i was scared of headthis medicine helped so much now a different worry.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Didn't your doctor prescribe Prilosec for your stomach problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no she didnt she told me to buy zantac . but now i am googling esophagaal cancer . and it says u at risk if u have gerd . what do i do .am i overiiacting. and also i do know people lose weight on this medicine even if u eat . an u explain why u still lose if u eat while taking this medicine

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

You lose weight because it suppresses the appetite and you eat less. And losing 10 pounds is good and not a sign of cancer.

You really should try the Zantac and if that takes care of the indigestion problem things are fine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

but i have been having gerd for a long time could it have done the damage to cause esophegagal .?so do u think i should ldo the barium.orjust take medicine .i have nopain, my stool is ok, appetite is good.energy is giod. indigesgion is bad and weight loss .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

That's possible but a better test would be upper endoscopy. The weight loss doesn't worry me at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

o now iam worried . i am afarid of all the scopes inside of me . so u saying years of gerd could cause cancer . or can cause other damage . my blood work was done in july was allgood

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Not cancer but there could be damage to your esophagus.

I can't help it if you worry about a scope--but talk to your doctor about it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

as a dr what u think .if i have reflux what kind of damage i might have . and as semengly young person what is my chance of it not being cancer

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

I definitely don't think you have cancer and there may be no damage at all to your esophagus but the only way to tell that would be with the scope

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how urgent u think i would need it. wpuld u reccomend the meds first then if no help appt to the dr

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

The zantac first and if that takes care of the problem no need for the scope

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dr chip ok need help. i got zantac but didnt take it yet i dont know if i canc crush it . i have constipation sometimes . so now stomach issuces r inmy mind.my friend who also has anxiety but she is 51had clolonoscopy her dr said colon cancer stomach esogegal r very rare but for people like me its not easier .help me out . one can i crush zantac.two what the chsnces of thus is just acid reflux and anxiety .and what r the chances of person who is 36to have stoach related cancer .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can crush it and the chances of stomach or colon cancer at your age are very, very small

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dr hello i have some concerns again .ok i have been taking zantac for a week. still have some reflux and acid.now fear of cancer is not leaving me . i need u to be honest with me . i know with colon u usually over 50what about stomach esofegal. i do go to the bathroom no and is that bad if a person misses a day . do u thi k its and anxiety

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Same age with stomach and esophageal cancer and lots of people don't go to the bathroom every day

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so what is ur gut tellung u . pardon my language . do all people who suffer with acid reflux in dangerb

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

You don't have cancer of any type and most people with reflux never get cancer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

pls help help .for the past over an hour my body shake i have horrible horrible acid .i have cramps i tried to go to the bathroom but only went once and it wasned diarhea . i am very scared

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dr u there

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Just got on

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

dr hello have been away for a while .as u know i take topamax 50mg for migrauns eventhoughi was prescribed 100.50helps just fine .i have about 3headaches a month now . but yesterday and today i have dull headaches with floating in ears and ofcours the fea is aneurism

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 12 months ago.

Sorry I was off

You don't have an aneurysm but you may have a sinus infection--give it a few days and if the symptoms don't go away have your doctor check to see if you need antibiotics

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

dr chip i have been feeling alot heart palps . and also dizzines . also i feel i like my heart skips a beat . there is also alot of pressure on my chest .