Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I fell between a boat and dock and t the dock hard on my

Customer Question

I fell between a boat and dock and hit the dock hard on my left side just below my rib cage around my left waist about 5 weeks ago. I was feeling better but now I'm experiencing a low grade pain around my left waist towards my mid back. No broken ribs at the time just a really bad bruise that has faded but is still there.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. You need to see a doctor about this and get a ct scan of the abdomen. With an injury like that you may either have bruised or cracked your spleen and the bleeding inside can cause the pain you're having. Usually this heals without the necessity of surgery but it definitely needs to be followed

Let me know if you need any more information please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The xray shows that my number 10 and 11 ribs are broken and the pieces are unattached. Will ribs heal back together if they are unattached
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

If they are completely unattached--not touching at all--no they won't and they'd have to be wired together.

Please remember to rate my service to you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to see a CNP, who had the xrays done. She said she spoke to a couple of doctors and an orthopedist- I believe. They all said that there was nothing that could be done because the injury happened 8 weeks ago and that time would heal them. But that doesn't make sense to me because the broken pieces are not attached. She showed me my xrays. Should I insist on seeing an orthopedist or some other specialist?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Yes--you should see a surgeon--either an orthopedist or a thoracic surgeon