Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I feel like I have a fever, my breath feels hot (to me) when

Customer Question

I feel like I have a fever, my breath feels hot (to me) when I breathe, my eyes burn when I blink, even my skin feels flushed but to the touch is seems normal. I have occasionally had visible red flushing to the face but not every time. This has happened on and off for the last few years with nothing obvious to connect it to. I have 2 benign cysts on my Thyroid and have had my thyroid levels checked several times...all normal. Could this be from the cysts? Maybe has one burst and now I have an excessive amount of the hormone in my system? I am 38 with a normal menstrual cycle, could I be menopausal?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

It sounds that you have symptoms other than fever... you may always check your temperature to check for fever of course (and normal by the way is a RANGE of 98.6 plus/minus 1.3 degrees so 97.3 to 99.9 is actually the range of normal..)

Some symptoms that you describe sound that you may have a flushing reaction. Warm skin.. do you have redness or very pink of the face and neck? That would fit with a flushing reaction..

This may be caused by a variety of factors that may cause the capillaries under the skin to suddenly dilate. Some people have a glass of wine and get this reaction. The supplement of Niacin will do it. It can be hormonal >> hyperthyroidism may cause it .. hormones related to your menstrual cycle may cause it.. some people eat hot spicy foods and it may be a cause...

The sense of your eyes burning sounds different in nature to me. Do you have that much? Any redness of the eyes ? Do you wear contacts?

It may be worthwhile to have reasonable follow up on thyroid function and ultrasound of the thyroid cysts >>Yes to that>> I think 6 month interval for that...

Menopause may cause such symptoms but also peri-menopausal symptoms >> you are young for menopause to be very suspect but irregular cycles and ups and downs of estrogen and progesterone cycle well be related > YES to that , certainly.. fluctuations may be only occasional missed periods which would be more common at your age vs actual menopause though...

I hope that this information is helpful for you. let me know if you have further questions or discussion. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. My eyes aren't burning as though I need eye drops. It's hard to explain. I have every symptom of a fever other than I don't feel bad or hot to the touch and a temperature doesn't register on a thermometer. I am premenstrual now so I will try to track whether that is a common denominator. I have not had an ultrasound of my thyroid in a while although I have had blood work with a thyroid function test a few months ago. I'm just not sure where to tell my doctor to start looking.

Hello again,

Well you may start with a diary >>keep track of times that you feel the flushed feeling >> then you look back at these times and look for common factors >> temperature, activity, time of day, recently ate and drank what >. those kind of things..

A diary such as this may be a helpful tool for this type of issue..

Depending on symptoms your doctor could look for factors including estrogen, progesterone, FSH and LH levels >> looking for menstrual cycle relationship..

Also TSH, T4, T3 levels ( thyroid when you may be due again)

C-reactive protein, sed rate ( non specific markers of inflammation ) these are elevated with many types of conditions from lupus or rheumatoid arthritis or infection or injury ... (Not very specific but helpful screening tool)

A CBC with differential may be helpful as a general look at your blood counts and immune activity...

The flushing alone may not be itself a serious symptom but may more often be an aggravation...

You may even find if you take an anti-inflammatory medicine such as Advil that later you may feel this ( it alters your body thermostat and you may dilate capillaries and break a sweat such as you were having a fever..)

I hope that this is helpful. let me know if you have further questions. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD