Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I'm 17 and I keep having chest pains that vary and traverse

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Pixie. I'm 17 and I keep having chest pains that vary and traverse randomly. I lift weights and cycle, and I am generally fit and highly active, slim, and have no history of heart disease in my family at all. These chest pains have been occuring for several years on and off, but recently I have noticed them worsening. I have autism and anxiety too. Often they feel like a pressure in the centre of my chest, but sometimes a more definite pain will occur centre-left, simultaneously occurring on my hand. I also feel a rushing squeeze-like feeling when standing, bending, or walking up stairs, though not so much when exercising formally. I suffer from cold hands and feet as well as cold sensitivity generally, and occasionally my lips turn a little blue (though not classic cyanosis) when I am extremely cold. I often feel as though my heart is pounding, but when I feel my pulse, it is not crazily fast. Is this heart related? I am so frightened. I also forgot to mention that I recently had a blood test for something else and all results were normal except for a progesterone deficiency, which is in hand. Any thoughts??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

if you have anxiety, excessive anxiety symptoms can cause chest pain and shortness of breath and lump in your throat symptoms.

you should need your thyroid hormone levels checked.

and also see a rheumatology doctor to check for raynauld's syndrome which can be causing your blue lips and cold hands and fingers.

at your age, you wouldn't be having heart problems.

this is your anxiety symptoms causing your chest pains.

you need to talk to a doctor about treatment to help decrease your anxiety symptoms

there are medications which an help decrease your anxiety symptoms.

it sounds like you have see a doctor recently.