Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am researching some options of what is causing my seizures

Customer Question

I am researching some options of what is causing my seizures cause I am out of options
Category: Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a car accident in 96 and withing 2 years I started having seizures. all of my brain tests come back normal they have tried inducing seizures with no luck no seizure activity in any of my scans they are not a daily thing they are very random once a month to one every 6 months and they dont happen while I am pregnant or nursing. the only thing that hasnt been researched is a possible neck or back injury healed wrong causing them. I cant get any local doctors to listen or research this. can you help?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. What kind of seizures do you have? And what did the Mayo doctors have to say about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have grand mal when I have them. Mayo clinic said they didnt know what the cause there was no brain truama no skull truama and all labs look normal.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

And I assume you had a normal EEG? And was it just a standard EEG without evoked potentials?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything that you do for testing for seizures including being put in the hospital for 1 week and taken off my meds cold turkey and no activity or seizure all my tests have been normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also get migraines frequently
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I had my accident they thought that I broke my neck but it was a small town hospital and didnt have the resources for kids like they needs so they released me because my physical exam seemed normal
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

OK. This could be a migraine problem with seizures as part of the aura, and there could also be a disk problem in your neck associated with this. I would start by getting an MRI of your cervical spine to look at the disks there. That would explain why all the tests you've had so far have not indicated the source of your seizures

Let me know if you need any more information please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had an mri of my neck and back and they said that my neck mri was not too abnormal but wouldnt say any more then that just that it isnt surgical and wont send it out to another radiologist to re read. my back came back as having arthritis between my shoulders and lower back and my chiropractor said that my discs between my shoulders slide under eachother. I tried to get another doc to look at it and see and I cant get any answers from anyone.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Even if it doesn't show a surgical problem doesn't mean there isn't a disk problem and I would get an MRI myelogram with contrast to look for nerve compression

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you so much and can any doctor order this? or what specialist would you suggest I see
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Your GP could order it but even so the next step I would take is for you to see a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist for hands-on treatment that could resolve your seizure problem