Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
41363181

I have hypothyroidism & was at my dr explaining that I feel

Customer Question

I have hypothyroidism & was at my dr explaining that I feel more depressed have put on so much weight despite very healthy eating & exercise every day. I have bad memory and poor cognitive ability. I have reynauds syndrome & am always cold but he is reluctant to prescribe t3(cytomel) to combine with levethyroxine that I'm already taking .. I'm measuring my body temp over weekend it's 94.3F
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

for most people, 20% of their T4 in their body is converted into T3 thyroid hormone

you should get your TSH, T3 and T4 levels checked to see if your levothyroxine dose is correct.

I take levothyroxine myself.

what dose are you taking?

what is your TSH and T4 and T3 levels recently?

if you are depressed, you might need medications to treat depression. are you willing to take anti-depression medication?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. You're obviously still hypothyroid despite the levothyroxine dosage you're taking. Most likely your TSH level is not at the optimal value of less than 2.0

Your doctor needs either to increase your levothyroxine dosage or switch you to Armour thyroid as a supplement and at this point if you haven't seen an endocrinologist you should.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am the first expert who helped you.

I would not change your levothyroxine dose until you have had blood testing to check your TSH, T3 and T4 levels.

low thyroid hormone levels would not itself explain depression as well. you might also need to talk to your doctor about medications to help treat depression.

have you been on depression medications before?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I disagree--low thyroid can cause depression and with your weight gain I feel certain you are still hypothyroid.

Here's a link for you

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/when-depression-starts-in-the-neck

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I take levothyroxine myself.

what dose are you taking?

if you are depressed, you might need medications to treat depression.