Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I have been having "glitches" or brief jerks off and on

Customer Question

I have been having "glitches" or brief jerks off and on for a little over a year now. I went to the doctor and had an EEG done recently, but the results have not come back, yet. I have been having mild/slight, short-lived headaches. Should I be worried? I have an appointment scheduled a month from now. Is it serious enough that I should seek more immediate medical attention?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.
I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.

When did the headache start?

In which part of the head?

Please write in detail about the jerks.

Did you have any other symptom?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also been having muscle spasms a lot since my EEG...is this normal? The "glitches" are a lot like when you jerk right before you fall asleep, except it is in the daytime. It involves my upper body, sometimes my legs, and I usually have a hard blink when it happens. It feels like my brain "sneezes"...everything stops right before and while it happens and then it usually feels like someone poked a part of my brain. I am usually a bit confused and unnerved for a few minutes after, but everything resumes to normal after the jerk happens. The headaches started about a week ago and are usually in the back of the head, about mid-way down the back/close to the neck. Sometimes, they travel. I have noticed a small, black dot in my left eye's vision that sometimes comes and goes. At first I thought it was my contacts, but I took them out, wore glasses for a week, and replaced them and it still comes and goes. It isn't enough to block vision, just a small speck of black that I noticed. My muscles are a bit stiff after they spasm.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Do you lose consciousness during the jerks?

Which parts of the body are affected by jerks?

Is it the whole or part of it?

When EEG was taken?

Did you have any blood test?

Did doctor prescribe any medicine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not lose consciousness that I am aware of. My arms are always affected, my hands, and my eyes. Sometimes, my legs jerk, but not always. The EEG was taken two days ago. I did not have a blood test and no medicine has been prescribed. I am on no regular medications.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I am standing, I never fall. It's only affecting my legs if I am sitting when they happen.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information,

Jerks can be from different factors.

Seizure or epilepsy needs to be ruled out.

So doctor has taken EEG.

There can be different causes too.

Dehydration or electrolyte changes can be factors.

Gentle massage, application of warm or cold can help.

It can be associated with excessive anxiety, fatigue, vitamin deficiency, caffeine intake etc

Please avoid those factors if you have any.

However, you should inform your doctor about the new symptoms.

Take plenty of fresh fruits & vegetables which would help in vitamin & mineral deficiency.

I hope this information helps.

If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.

If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.

Regards