Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

I work with fits graders and a student had a bloody knee. I

Customer Question

I work with fits graders and a student had a bloody knee. I gave her a kleenex to hold on to her knee but the blood got on my hand. I had a hang nail on one of my fingers the day before that bled a little. I don't know if the blood got on that finger because it happened so fast. I washed my hands within 10 mins. Am I at risk for hiv or anything else
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

I understand your concern.

As per your description,if you have no open wound in nail bed then chances of HIV transmission are very less.

Also you have washed your hands properly then it also decrease the risk.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It wad a hang nail on the side if nail. It bled over 24 hours before the incident

Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

I hope to put your mind at ease by reassuring you that HIV is not transmitted through small wound.

Even a person would need to have a fresh cut on their skin, one that's pretty deep, and they'd then need to come into contact with HIV+ blood.

Also it bled over 24 hours so possibly it was closed wound in your case.

The primary reason for this is that HIV does not survive outside of the human body for very long at all.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I wanted to make sure my would wasn't an issue. When I washed with soap that spot stung a little so I didn't know if it was cuz it was gaping open but closed and still healing?

Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

As per your description,it's normal to get such sting sensation on wound when come in contact with soap.

Possibly it was closed as there was no active bleeding at that time for last 24 hours and currently healing.

So chances of HIV are very less.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would assume ifbshebeven had hiv they would have to contact the school. She is a beautiful healthy girl

Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Well as you describe her history,it was just an accident in her case and she is so young to contract HIV so most likely she would be HIV negative.

And it again assure that you didn't get HIV from her.

Hope this helps.

If you are satisfied with our conversation then positive feedback and bonus are appreciated.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do u think I should be tested because of this

Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

You needn't to go for testing.

However if you are still worrying then you can go for HIV testing after 3 months only for a peace of mind.

Otherwise chances of HIV transmission in your case are negligible.

Hope this helps.