Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My girlfriend says she has a collapsed lung. She first told

Customer Question

My girlfriend says she has a collapsed lung. She first told me about this seven months ago. She has chest pain that comes and goes. I have personally taken her to the emergency room. While in the emergency room they performed an x-ray of the chest and a CT scan. The emergency room doctor said there was no sign of any lung problems and definitely not a collapsed lung. Is it possible to have a collapsed long for seven months? Is it possible to have a collapsed lung and be fine for three or four days at a time and then have pain to to the point you can't get out of bed? My girlfriend says that her primary care physician has diagnosed her with a collapsed lung and for that reason she is constantly on pain medication. I am concerned that my girlfriend is addicted to prescription pain medications and is using this condition as a way to get more pain killers. My girlfriend has lost several jobs because of this condition. Is it possible for a collapsed lung to last seven months and also not show up on a CT scan or a chest x-ray.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also want to add that during this seven months of mysterious phantom pain, my girlfriend has told me hat she broke her ribs coughing. This came out of the blue. We live together and she had not been coughing. She also went to bed symptom free and woke up in the middle of the night in pain, claiming she now has broken ribs. I am worried this is drug seeking behavior.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

A collapsed lung would cause significant breathing issue and cannot last for seven months. Collapsed lung would not cause painbut breathing problems like difficulty in breathing with slightest of physical activity. Also it would not cause intermittent symptoms. With a CT scan and chest x-ray being normal it categorically rules out a lung ailment. These investigations won't miss any diagnosis especially the collapsed lung. Addiction with the pain medications can be a possibility with your description and need further probing for this behavior.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.