Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am 38 year old yesterday.....and perfectly healthy...until

Customer Question

I am 38 year old yesterday.....and perfectly healthy...until July. I am getting dizzy spells that last for days and even weeks with fluctuating intensity. I went to an ENT who tested me for everything he could and ruled out inner ear problems, and he sent me for an MRI. It read that here were non specific white matter hyperintensities, but when he saw the films himself, he said they really looked normal. He is sending me to a neurologist and until yesterday my only symptom was chronic dizziness. I was not terribly concerned. But yesterday, tingling started on my left side- arm and leg. I am now terrified because everything online leads to MS even though it is so rare in the general population. It will be weeks until I get in to the neurologist. I feel like I'm losing my mind waiting for some horrible death sentence. (Although I know ms is handled a little better than in the past). Please help. I am so scared.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. With the MRI report you don't have MS. That said, the left sided tingling could be a sign of a transient ischemic attack and that needs urgent workup with another MRI and an EKG and echocardiogram

Let me know if you need more information please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's my understanding that a clean MRI isn't difinitive?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Not absolutely definitive, no but if your symptoms were from MS there should be more demonstrative evidence on the MRI.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you referring to the typical patterns ms takes on MRIs? My symptoms just don't seem to line up with anything else. I want to believe this will get better, but now I'm just waiting for the next symptom to hit.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

I mean that if your symptoms that you've listed were due to MS then there would have been obvious signs of demyelination on the MRI you had. And your symptoms, no matter what you've read online, just aren't typical of MS