Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am over weight - I have a BMI of 40. I've spent 6 weeks

Customer Question

Hi Dr. I am over weight - I have a BMI of 40. I've spent 6 weeks training using heart rate as a guide.
I've recently had my resting HR and recovery HR tested and both put me into the athletic fitness cateogry - Resting HR is 55 and my recovery rate is 60.
is it possible that I am very fit even though im overweight/obese or should I get my heart checked out?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Your heart rate values are fair guide in your age group for the heart fitness. But the heart rate cannot be the sole criteria for the complete evaluation of the heart fitness. There are other parameters too for the anatomical, physiological and functional evaluation of the heart which will categorically establish the complete normalcy of the heart. So you may consider getting a treadmill stress test and echocardiography, if not done.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Thank you for requesting me.

There is no indication in your description that indicates a need for a treadmill test.

IN the US, a heart exam and EKG with an internal medicine doctor, or caridologist is adequate.

More importantly, you should not be exercising without having been cleared by your doctor...that can be dangerous.

In addition, to answer your question, you can be fit and overweight, but this does not mean you are healthy being this overweight, as heart disease, cancer and other diseases are increased in this situation.

You should have your thyroid function checked. If your TSH is over 2.5 this is contributing to your problem.

I am a double board certified US doctor and will always give you correct, precise, safe, and comprehensive answers.

When you request me, do so in the medical category, and use a long request lock.

If you have problems with this process, get customer service to help you.

Please click a positive on my post here to give me credit.

Come back as needed.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.