Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Can you tell me about Hepatitis G and Hepatitis X? Is it

Customer Question

Hello, Can you tell me about Hepatitis G and Hepatitis X? Is it extremely rare and does it cause complications or does it usually go away on its own?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Those are both terms for a hepatitis that is caused by blood transfusions. It is very rare and really not seen in developed countries where blood transfusions are first screened before they are transfused. If someone has it, they may become virus-free in time but some can have significant liver damage

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
people shouldn't be concerned about getting it like Hepatitis B and C? Like if you shared a razor with someone, etc?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

No, there isn't any concern like there is with Hep B and C and you don't get it from sharing razors, toothbrushes, dinnerware, etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but you can get hep c by sharing razors right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, if you had one of these, would you have symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Potentially, yes from the razors

But with hep B and C a person can be infected for months to years before they start to have any symptoms

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, sorry I meant with Hep G or X - like would you know if you had one of these? Would you have symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also - is Hep G and X not spread by microscopic amounts of blood like Hep C? Does there need to be a great deal of blood?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

No, you wouldn't have symptoms for quite some time if you did have one of those. But the only way to tell if someone has any of the hepatitis viruses is with blood work.

Yes--for Hep G and X it takes a full pint of transfused blood

I'll be happy to continue beyond this if you'll accept the offer more time offer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry one last question - some sites say it (Hep G or X) can be passed through sexual contact? That would only need a tiny amount of blood?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Don't know what you're reading but no--it's only transmitted by blood transfusions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry got it from here http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/diseases/hepatitis/hepgfact.pdf
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

That's for contact with people who have already had blood transfusions and then have contact with others.

But let me ask you something here--since you've obviously done some research on your own here, why did you need to first ask the question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
because I'm not sure if I'm misinterpreting the info - sorry just want to be sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically if I've ever had a theoretical risk for blood contact with other people through a mucus membrane, I really shouldn't be worried about getting Hep G or X? Thats really what i was trying to get at sorry
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

OK--no you really have nothing to worry about with being infected with Hep G or X