Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I've been taking anti-biotics weeks, and I'm still having

Customer Question

Hi, I've been taking anti-biotics for epididimytis for 2 weeks, and I'm still having slight swelling and in my right testicle and minor pain when I ejaculate. Have been trying not to have sex or masturbate, but the pain seems to have remained. The docs say its a typical case of epididimytis, I've been back twice and they've said it's potentially psychosomatic. My right hamstring is unusually tight andstretchingnit appears to give me some relief. Do I just need to wait for it to subside and is it possibly an issue with my hamstring?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The hamstring tightness is likely to be unrelated to epididymitis. This may come from pinched nerves from back. Physical therapy and passive stretching are likely to help you.

The epididymitis symptoms may take 2-3 weeks to resolve completely. So some residual symptoms at two weeks are not unusual.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Hope you are doing good.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advice. I've actually had my right testicle flare up again, sometimes after urination. The testicle feels like its lengthens slightly, has weird lumps and is tender. But it comes and goes. happened after sex the other day. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting another round of antibiotics. This issue has been going on for about a month now and I'd rather have it resolved. Could it be a urinary tract infection or something else?

You are very welcome.

Since there is an aggravation; the best would be to get the culture of semen and urine. These would be able to point out the best antibiotic efficacious against the residual infection. These culture need to be performed after 48 hours or more of antibiotic free period. That way the best culture reports would be obtained.

The urinary passage and semen (sexual) passage are common when they terminate. So cross infections are not uncommon and it is a more or less an academic exercise to label an infection primarily as urinary or sex organs related. For all practical purposes they are treated in same fashion / duration.

It is privilege assisting you.