Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have had the MRI and urinalysis done. It would be out

Customer Question

I have had the MRI and urinalysis done. It would be out tomorrow or the next, i mean the results. anyway, I have had a blow after the bactroban i used and after 4days i had the boils again on my penis. is there anything i am doing wrong....?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

A blow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blow job i mean.... oral sex
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

And what exactly do you mean by boils this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the same type of tiny boils thats associated with staph infections.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Can you show me a photo?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just like the picture but on penis but its not that much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its sweet when you scratch
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Those aren't boils

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what are they called please?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

What you showed me looks like herpes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i get diagnosed and what is the cure?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Have you had a herpes screen and has a doctor ever seen these?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can i have a herpes screen? yes a doctor has seen it once but didn't say it was herpes.. You should know i am currently in africa and there are not many professional doctors here, which is why i am communicating with you.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

And what you have now looks like the photo you sent me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a cure? I read there is none. and how do i go about it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

There is no cure but it can be treated with a medication called acyclovir. The diagnosis is a blood test to check for the Herpes 1 and 2 antibodies

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after it is treated, can't i have a regular sex life? how do i proceed in relating with my sex life?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Even if it's treated you would still have the virus in you. If there were no breakouts then there'd be only a small chance of transmitting it to someone else and using a condom would make the chances even less. But we're just assuming for now that it's herpes and you need the blood test to prove that it is

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would do a blood test tomorrow again. Lets assume it is, how do I proceed with it to stop the small boils from coming back all the time and have a normal sex life. Must I use the condoms all the time?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Those aren't boils--they're blisters. Even without the outbreak unless you use condoms there'd be a chance of giving it to someone else

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i have a normal sex life without a condom and not get the blisters?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean by normal sex life?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as in if i don't have the outbreak and have sex without condom, will the blisters appear? and normal sex life means without a condom
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Someone with herpes may get outbreaks of the blisters from time to time. If it happens often they can be on suppressive therapy with daily acyclovir. But even with the suppressive therapy there's still a small chance of someone with herpes giving it to someone else unless a condom is used

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the suppressive therapy, will there be an outbreak? with daily acyclovir, can someone still have a normal life like take alcohol ones in a while etc?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Usually not. No problem with drinking alcohol while on the acyclovir

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lets assume i have herpes, what medications should be taken and how long? worst case scenario... and you mean with the acyclovir i wouldn't get an out break even with oral sex (blow job)?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Acyclovir daily for ten days treats the outbreak. If you were on the suppressive--take it every day for months--treatment, you wouldn't likely get a breakout with sex of any kind

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the name of the suppressive? I am not concluding its herpes but from what you have told me and what i have read briefly, i think it is. for more than 5years i have outbreaks but only when i have sex without condoms and each time they tell me its staph and if I take the prescribed antibiotics, its dries up especially strep, gent, rocephin.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

I've told you that already--the medication is called acyclovir and for suppression it's taken daily for months. All I'm saying is that the photo you gave me today is not boils and looks very much like herpes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, but is it suppose to dry up after you take the antibiotics i have stated? that is if it is herpes?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Even untreated herpes will dry up on it's own

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Acyclovir , is it take once daily for suppression? how many mg is it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

One 400mg table twice a day for a year

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after a year, what else?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Then it's stopped and only resumed if and when there's another outbreak

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it possible to be taking Acyclovir and still have an outbreak?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Yes but very unlikely