Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Would I be correct to assume that a smoker who has clubbing

Customer Question

Would I be correct to assume that a smoker who has clubbing compared to a smoker who doesn't have clubbing , that the smoker who does have clubbing has a further extent of damage to his/her lungs regardless of age difference between the two subjects ? I am 36 and I've been obsessing over my clubbed Nails and the fact I see s lot of smokers older than me way older which probably means they have that many more years of smoking than me not having clubbed nails yet me having them. Does clubbing point to anything serious ? Like once a persons nails club due to lowered oxygen levels flowing in the blood to the extremities like my fingers and toes , does it mean once clubbed that I that much closer to having lung cancer ? My nails aren't exactly clubbed like fully clubbed but they are somewhat bulbous and my finger tips are broadened some but I sto have diamond shaped window when performing schamroth window test I am very worried that the past 10 stressful years for me I've smoked so much that now that my nails have slight clubbing I am that much closer to getting diagnosed with lung cancer or some type of lung disease ! Very worried
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Your chest CT confirms that you have mild COPD so you do need to stop smoking. The COPD will get worse each year that you continue to smoke . Your pulmonary function tests show excellent results however! So that is great news for you! 100 percent is normal so whatever measure that you had is better than average. Pulmonary function studies have many parameters though so I don't know which this represents. FEV 1 is a key measure but I don't know which parameter it is that was so excellent in your case....

How MUCH do you smoke? 1/2 pack per day vs 2 packs p e r day can make a huge difference .

The clubbing is a clinical sign. This probably has to do with the rapid growing nail beds over time getting lower oxygen. You also poison your system with carbon monoxide with smoking which locks out about ten percent of your red cell/ hemoglobin function. So even with maintaining good lung function you do deprive your system of adequate oxygen.

Lifetime risk of lung cancer of smoker is about 10 percent.For non smoker is about 1 percent. So to quit does help reduce your risk in this,regard.

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the chances that I am in the danger area of getting lung cancer soon is pretty low given my current age ? I am paranoid bout getting Kung cancer very young due to a very stressful past ten years where I smoked as I always did minus the healthy lifestyle ie: regular exercise (cardio) as well as eating right (unused to be a very healthy eater) but thanks to my mental state how I've changed as if I'm no longer the me I always was has caused me to stop eating as healthy as I once used to which in sure coupled with the fact I also not as active not at all active like I used to be I'm guessing this is that has caused my nails to club being that not eating right (veggies,fruits whole grain five or so small meals a day ) has deprived my body of oxygen rich blood due to not getting my heart working as hard as I could go get the blood flowing. So Eith that being said I am very paranoid that the low oxygen levels I've suffered for however long are going to have dire consequences on my health earlier than if I stood active and healthy like I used to be given the fact I still pretty young but am showing signs of a much older less active person and smoker
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does cigarette smoke cause wheezing? Like what physical changes goes my windpipe it wherever the wheezing coming from , take on which causes the wheeze ? I'm just very paranoid that the last yen years of smoking and bring sedentary hang out me at a much greater risk of developing lung cancer much earlier than a person who is active physically and eats hardly??? Is this true ? I used to eat very healthy and I ask ways exercised but since I started having detachment issues where I pretty much lost all sense of self , it's become impossible for me to basically live and take care of myself as if normally have done by exercising and eating a pretty healthy balanced diet

Hello again---

At your age lung cancer is still very low risk --Yes to that ...

Being sedentary would impact certain aspects of your general health but not so much your risk of potential development of lung cancer. The main thing to reduce risk is for you to stop smoking. ..

Diet being healthy is also good for your general health ...plenty if fruits and vegetables ...the more antioxidants that you eat with diet and certain supplements may be helpful to reduce risk (supplement CoQ10 is excellent antioxidant )

The wheezing is caused by inflammation of small airways. When airways swell with inflammation then the thin open tubes of airways become thicker walled and less open airway passage ...so especially breathing out you may wheeze through tight airways ...it is like comparing a large straw to say a coffee stirrer ....

Overall health would benefit from healthy lifestyle habits across the board--- stop smoking -- more activity /exercise / healthy diet (lower saturated fats , generous for fresh fruits and vegetables )

The smoking leads to changes of the lungs and airways and neutralized about ten percent of hemoglobin and this reduces the effective oxygen transport to your body but diet would not directly affect this so much ...

I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have anything further.Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great answers across the board very clear
As for the wheezing if my airways went from straws so to speak to coffee stirrers thanks to damage done by smoking if I quit smoking can these airways open up again ? Are they damaged permanently ? And so whatever wheezing I have now during smoking Im going to have after quitting also ? I and this side strangely my wheeze sounded as if it got worse when I wasn't smoking and I go for months sometimes not smoking at all or very very little 3/5cigs a day on days that I smoke when I'm in a not smoking period like I won't buy any picks and if I meet someone with cig and they offer or I feel like asking I'll smoke anyway not to get off track
Is the changes/damage causing the wheezing permanent ? Is there no way to bring back to better health parts of my body damaged and changed from smoking ? Also I have a sore arm pain left arm outside of arm/biceps area left arm only, I read something doctor oz posted that arm pain/soreness can mean and point to lung cancer could be coincidence in my case but I don't know ? Sorry for long message

Hello again!

The changes of COPD which is associated with your smoking may improve to a degree with stopping. The airway inflammation may reduce to a degree. The airways rebuild defenses to help reduce your risk of infection. Changes of COPD are in past reversible but to much extent there are irreversible changes. You may have thickened walls of small airways that can't get back to normal. You could have scattered area of damage to airsack units (alveoli) that would not be reversible.

If you have wheezing then treatment with bronchodilator inhalers may help. Similar with shortness of breath.

You do benefit from stopping smoking and staying stopped. There is no way to restore health and function of your lungs when you were 18 however.

The arm pain would seem more likely to be musclar in nature. Your age would correspond to low risk of lung cancer. I think this would be unlikely explanation as to your arm discomfort....

I hope that this is helpful for you Let me know if you have further questions.Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have one more question in regards ***** ***** wheezing I have during forceful long exhalation can't ever improve with stopping smoking ? If I blow out forcefully , I'll hear whistling to u stop blowing air out ! This is pretty bad no ? I have no shortness of breath whatsoever tho just the wheezing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your answers been very clarifying thus far and I thank you for that. Do u think the walls of my windpipe or whatever thickens have thickened not just thanks to smoking but thanks to being so sedentary whilst smoking and so not keeping lungs windpipe and other related organs elastic ? Or is the wheezing caused by the smoking inevitable regardless of active lifestyle or not

Hello again,

The wheezing may improve after you quit smoking. It may improve with treatment of inhalers that are bronchidilators as well. Spiriva is most commonly used in COPD. ALBUTEROL is another commonly used bronchodilator. Smoking is going to cause changes to lungs regardless of your activity . Exercise benefits your pulmonary function.

I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions.Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I somehow upload you a pic of my hands with hopes you can give me your opinion of the extent of finger broadening I have ? Thanks to clubbing I don't know where to send pic to

Hello again,

You may be able to upload a picture directly to page ...see if your toolbar has paperclip icon...this may allow for attaching a file such as a photo...or you may upload to a site such as photobucket..com and then give me a reference to it

I hope that this is helpful.Please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will upload to photo bucket there are old pictures of my nails as well as new ones I'm hoping I can show u which ones are new ones when posting them also is it true that clubbing is mostly thanks to
Lung cancer especially in a smoker

Hello again,

No clubbing if nails is NOT SPECIFIC to lung cancer . That sign usually just indicates pulmonary disease such as COPD...It is not a sign to indicate lung cancer ...

I hope that this is helpful.Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can a wheeze be heard from my nose and is this tied to my smoking and my lungs and can this go away ?

Well wheezing is from the lungs. You might perceive the sound in different ways possible or you might be describing a different type sound. When we refer to wheezing we refer specifically to a sound of airway obstruction in your lungs however. Wheezing may come and go . It is related to smoking and may potentially improve , yes ....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im nit sure if the noise coming from my nose a nose whistle or a wheeze from my lungs

Hello again,

Well you can have upper respiratory NOISE certainly. You can have sinus or nasal passage congestion but such potential noise would not be what we would qualify as WHEEZING.Wheezing is a specif type of lung passage type noise associated with bronchiconstriction of small type always in the lungs. ( note even noise of different type of larger airways is referred to as rhonchi) so WHEEZING per se is a very set definition.

I hope that this helps and makes sense. Let me know if you have further questions.I will be happy to get back with you.Please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont mean to jump from question to question but i feel very ill i wake up nauseaus every morning and im worried i stimach cancer or something ive taken tums but hasnt done anythjng for me